Re: VK9NC not Norfolk?

Björn Ekelund, SM7IUN

Thanks Dave,

I am not aware of any documentation either way. But judging from the call signs of the past
few years activations it seems to be the fourth character that determines the DXCC entity.

The fact that neither Big CTY nor Club Log offer an exception/override to me suggests there
is an actual rule.

Club Log considers any VK9 call to be Norfolk except those that have C (Cocos), L (Lord Howe),
M (Mellish), W (Willis) or X (Christmas) as the fourth character. From where Mike got this information,
I do not know. I will ask him. I am already in contact with him through my work with the DXLog Live
Stream gateway for Club Log.

Björn

Den fre 18 okt. 2019 kl 22:35 skrev Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...>:

+ AA6YQ comments below

I noticed the same. VK9NA, VK9NP, etc. are all considered Norfolk.

I was not aware of the "fifth character" rule. It seems the Austrialian authorities since then have switched to using the fourth, considering many recent DXpeditions such as VK9MA, VK9CZ, VK9NC etc.

+ If you point me at documentation of this policy change, I will update DXView accordingly.

+ DXView's override mechanism provides a way to handle this inconsistency/ambiguity.