Re: VK9NC not Norfolk?

N1BUG

On 10/18/19 4:35 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
I was not aware of the "fifth character" rule. It seems the
Austrialian authorities since then have switched to using > the
fourth, considering many recent DXpeditions such as VK9MA, VK9CZ,
VK9NC etc.
Actually I believe there has been a change. I recall many years ago
having correspondence with you about this, Dave, after I found
information describing the then current situation. At that time, if
it was a two letter suffix, then the first letter of the suffix
denoted the DXCC entity; if it was a three letter suffix then the
second letter denoted the DXCC entity.

I seem to recall more recently it was announced that that VK9 call
signs would no longer be issued according to the old rules and that
it would no longer be possible to determine the DXCC entity based on
a VK9 callsign. This is the most current information I can find at
the moment:

https://www.wia.org.au/newsevents/news/2009/20091021-1/index.php

See the last paragraph. I will see if I can find anything more recent.

73,
Paul N1BUG