Re: Pacemaker

Dave AA6YQ

One of my extracurricular activities is wireless electronic voting for New England Town Meetings, where participants use a wireless device to convey their vote instead of shouting "yes" or "no" as was done for the preceding ~300 years. The devices we selected operate in the 2.5 GHz WiFi band, with an RF power output of 4 mw. A citizen of our town who holds a first class FCC commercial license objected that ~1000 of these handsets in one large room could interfere with his implanted Medtronic pacemaker. So I and members of my team contacted every major pacemaker manufactures to understand the their susceptibility to QRM; every one of them was aware of the issue, and reported addressing this possibility in both their design and testing.