Re: interoperating with a Satellite tracker

John Feist

A possible good reference

At one time I used a Dos based instatrack it was a hardware/software Az/El controller. Probably long gone. Paul KB5MU was very much involved.

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019 at 7:08 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
While at the Northeast HamXposition today, I spent some time at the N1T satellite station with Fred AB10C, a long-time DXLab user.
This station was controlled by MacDoppler running on an Apple computer. MacDoppler can be configured to broadcast UDP messages
conveying the current doppler-adjusted RX and TX frequencies. These messages are not documented, but Fred has reverse-engineering
them. It should be possible to extend Commander to treat MacDoppler as a "radio model". With this model selected, Commander would
accept the RX and TX frequencies reported in the UDP messages and convey these frequencies to the other DXLab applications; this
would enable DXKeeper to correctly log the frequencies in satellite QSOs, for example. While DXLab can be run on an Apple by using
Parallels or equivalent, most users of this approach would run MacDoppler on Apple that is network-connected to a PC running DXLab.

When I asked about PC-hosted satellite trackers other than SatPC32, Fred mentioned Orbitron. From an installation and initial use
perspective, Orbitron seems significantly better than SatPC32. However, it communicates RX and TX frequencies, antenna azimuth, and
antenna elevation via one DDE broadcast. Receiving this broadcast would enable Commander to convey RX and TX frequencies to the
other DXLab applications (as described above), but unfortunately would also require extending DXView to implement AZ/EL rotator
control; I don't like spending time on wheel re-invention.

Besides SatPC32 and Orbitron, what other Windows-hosted satellite trackers should I investigate?