Re: QSL queue Count Down after LoTW Upload (gets slower and slower)

Al Groff

Max,Dave,
?? I made this regedit modification and have had a significant improvement in the database update after the Lotw upload..?? Database is 50k qso's and Lotw upload was 300 QSO's..
?? Just FYI....
AL, K0VM

On 7/17/2019 11:24 PM, Max NG7M wrote:
I solved the issue I was having with the progressive slowdown of the DXKeeper Database update after a large upload to LoTW.?? I increased the default MaxBufferSize setting for the Jet 4.0 MDAC Database which DXKeeper is using.?? The default appears to be somewhere around 5 megs of ram and at run time you will see DXKeeper consume around 15 to 20 megs of ram in the task manager.?? After changing the following registry setting, DXKeeper shows 70 megs of ram in use (which is trivial at the end of the day) in the task manager.

I'm running Windows 10 64 bit so you will need to change the following registry entry.?? (If you don't have a reason to do this, then don't do it) But it solved the minor performance issue for me on large uploads.?? I have a current database with about 75000 QSO's in it.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Jet 4.0]
"MaxBufferSize"=dword:0000c800

If you are running the 32 bit version of?? Windows 10 etc... the registry hive entry would be here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Jet 4.0]
"MaxBufferSize"=dword:0000c800

You can do this in regedit, the hex value above is 51200 in decimal and equates to 50 megs of buffers for the Jet 4.0 mdb database engine that DXKeeper uses.?? I tried larger values, but it messed up the Jet Database Engine, so the max value based on my testing was right around 50 megs.?? On 54 bit or 32 bit Windows 10, this amount of memory per process is trivial if you have 4 gigs of ram on 32 bit or greater for 64 bit versions of windows.

Anyway, it did the trick for me and I'm sure other more intense queries are going to perform much better too!?? I thought I would share.?? Again, if you have no need to do this... then don't feel like you need to.?? However, a big thumbs up on my performance increase after testing 130 QSO iimport from the CWT Mini 1 hour contest this evening.?? After the upload of the data to LotW, the count down in the Import QSO tab task bar of DXKeeper zipped right down to zero with no slow down.

Max NG7M