Re: DXCC Credit Analysis Actions

BILL KENNAMER

My oldest QSO in the records reads:
080
Honduras (080)
1945-11-15
Unknown

I have Mixed credit only for that contact, although I also have Honduras on all bands, and those are also in the LOTW records.

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 6:44 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ Here's an example of a DXCC credit awarded to a QSO I made I in 1991.

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/9Q5UN.jpg>

+ Note that it specifies

1. the callsign

2. the DXCC entity name, with its "country code" in parenthesis

3. the date

4. the mode

5. the band

+ In my experience - which began when I received my novice ticket in January 1990 - almost all DXCC credits provide the above information, though some of the information may be inaccurate due to shortcuts taken or data entry errors.

+ There was a time when submitting a QSL card for DXCC credit did not result in your receiving credit for the entity, entity-band, and entity-mode; only the credit you requested was granted. DXKeeper provides the ability to specify "entity credit only", "entity-band credit only", and "entity-mode credit only" if you have these situations; alternatively, you can resubmit the QSL card to the ARRL and receive DXCC credit for all "components".

I’d be surprised that ARRL did that much.  As I said, when we converted from paper to computer (I was in charge of that), we did not enter callsigns into the computer. We entered only the country code. All entries for mixed DXCC were mixed, no matter what mode may have been on the card. Phone credits came from phone DXCC records, etc.

There was no notation of mode, date, time, etc. at the time (1992). In fact, paper DXCC records were the original submission record that the applicant completed, and callsigns were added to the original paperwork, with new additions to the DXCC list handwritten at the bottom.

I had been logging with a computer since 1991, so was able to convert to ADIF. I then entered all QSOs before then from my handwritten longs since 1961. After doing this, I had nearly 40,000 QSOs, all of which have been entered into LOTW. The only discrepancies I ever find are those cases where I have received a card from someone who doesn’t use LOTW.  This usually is less than five QSOs, and is resolved when I make a paper submission.

I suggest you might correct a few dxkeeper entries, and resubmit to LOTW.

73

Bill
K5FUV

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 2:50 PM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

    Bill, the problem is that ARRL apparently made the decision back when not to enter data from its pre-LOTW/pre-computer era records beyond the callsign, band, mode, and year of each QSO.  All of the credits in question derived from actual cards reviewed and accepted by ARRL, so I contend that a better approach would be for DXKeeper to look for QSOs with the station, mode and band in the *year*, and only balk if there is none, or more than one that fits.  That would take care of 99 percent of mine.

    73, Pete N4ZR
    Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
    at <http://reversebeacon.net> <http://reversebeacon.net> , now
    spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
    For spots, please use your favorite
    "retail" DX cluster.
    On 5/28/2019 3:33 PM, BILL KENNAMER wrote:

    I had no problem with mine entering QSOs back to 1961, but I entered the correct date and time.

    When these cards were originally entered in DXCC records, they were entered into the system 38 with country code number only, no call sign.  Even given that, I have no discrepancies.

    73

    Bill K5FUV

    Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>

    On Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 1:59 PM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> <mailto:n4zr@...>  wrote:

        Still trying to get the DXCC status in my log to match with DXCC info from ARRL.  Ran this routine and it worked great for recent QSOs, updating their QSL status to verified, but it left 525 DXCC credits in the status "no exact match found in log."  Each and every one of these is a QSO back in the 70s, 80s and 90s, and the reason why no match was found is that  there is no date in ARRL's record other than the year - for example, 1976-01-01.The instructions for this report say that it should not be used for old QSOs, but not why.  I guess this explains it.

        Is there any other way I can update the QSL status for these QSOs in bulk? They are all shown by DCXX as "card", so there is no doubt (I think) that I deserve the DXCC credit.  I'd just like to avoid 525 separate operations.