Re: DXLabs and CW Skimmer - DXLabs is sluggish to Non-Responsive

Kent Olsen

Dave

This is the same issue I reported: https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/183332

I was never able to find a resolution.

I just tried to start my computer in safe mode with networking. The problem is CWSkimmer will not start via SliceMaster like this.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 11:41 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 11:39 AM, <pkoss455@...> wrote:
I have an issue with DXLabs when running CW Skimmer, where DXLabs programs slow to a crawl or halt when CW Skimmer is running (e.g., program startup from launcher, or communication from WW to Keeper to look up callsign information, to name a couple of examples).  Once I close CW Skimmer DXLabs immediately takes off.

The setup is a Windows 10 machine (current on maintenance), running on an HP i5 PC with 16GB.  Running a Flex 6600, Smart SDR (V3, but V2 had the same issue).  The PC runs at 50% busy or less with similar memory utilization.  I've even gone so far as to lower the task priority of CW Skimmer to make sure its primary thread is not monopolizing a core above a DXLab task.  I've also done the opposite with DXLabs tasks to raise their priority.  None of this changes a thing.  While CW Skimmer is running DXLabs is usually slow to non-responsive.  Once CW Skimmer is ended, then DXLabs runs just fine.  Also I find no other program running concurrently in the mix is exhibiting this characteristic sluggish behavior.

Like I said, it seems to be related to the inter-task communication method used by DXLabs, but I can't put my finger on it.

I'm in no way inferring any sort of defect in DXLabs.  The issue is likely on my side but I can't seem to put my finger on it and would appreciate any insight.

+ Please reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking". Then start your DXLab applications and CW Skimmer, noting that Commander will be unable to communicate with your transceiver via a serial port in this configuration (serial port drivers aren't loaded when Windows is booted into "Safe Mode with Networking"). Do you still experience the slowdown reported above?