Re: Commander and N1MM

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2019-04-20 3:05 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ The only way to have more than one application control the same transceiver is by using a CAT port sharing application. I'm only aware of two reliable implementations of CAT port sharing:
Win4IcomSuite and Win4YaesuSuite:

<https://icom.va2fsq.com/>

<https://yaesu.va2fsq.com/>
Also Win4K3Suite for Elecraft K3, K3S, KX3 and KX2 ...

https://va2fsq.com/

On 2019-04-20 3:05 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
I'm sure I'm missing something either in DXLabs docs or in the 900 page N1MM manual. Today I installed N1MM according to their instructions but when I tried to run N1MM with the DXLab Suite running, up popped the error message that "COM4 is in use by another program". That's very true and obviously N1MM and Commander can't share. So the question is, how does one get around this situation? WSJT seems to handle it by allowing Commander to do the controlling but that option doesn't seem to be available in N1MM. I have a suspicion that this is just the beginning of the challenge or running N1MM with DXLab. I've got the Gateway installed but that seems to address a different operation.
Thanks for any daylight Dave or another user can shed to get me started down the path.
+ The only way to have more than one application control the same transceiver is by using a CAT port sharing application. I'm only aware of two reliable implementations of CAT port sharing: Win4IcomSuite and Win4YaesuSuite:
<https://icom.va2fsq.com/>
<https://yaesu.va2fsq.com/>
+ LP Bridge claims to provide this capability for Elecraft radios, but has proven to be unreliable.
+ Low-level port sharing applications like com0com are ignorant of CAT protocols, and thus cannot be used for this purpose.
+ Why do you want to run DXLab and N1MM simultaneously?
+ During contests, many ops run DXKeeper, and use the N1MM-DXKeeper bridge so that QSOs are logged to N1MM are also logged to DXKeeper.
<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/N1MM-DXKeeper/index.htm>
+ You can also run DXLab components like SpotCollector, DXView, and PropView in parallel with N1MM, though any function dependent on Commander running will not be available.