next step on the "waterfall-spectrum display" roadmap: request for input

Dave AA6YQ

When controlling an Icom IC-7300, IC-7610, IC-7850, or IC-7851, the current version of Commander can display a Spectrum-Waterfall
window that includes the callsigns of active DX stations:

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/Spectrum-Waterfall-Dark-Spectrum.jpg>

When controlling a Flex Signature (6400, 6500, 6600, 6700), the current version of Commander can display the callsigns of active DX
stations on the SmartSDR panadaptor:

< http://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/FlexSigCallsigns.jpg>

In both cases, double-clicking the callsign of an active DX station initiates the same actions as double-clicking a Spot Database
Entry for that callsign in SpotCollector.

The next step is to provide a Spectrum-Waterfall display that works with inexpensive SDR hardware - the SDRPlay RSP family - and
can display the callsigns of active DX stations. The SDR hardware could be connected to an external antenna (with appropriate RX/TX
switching and protection) or could be connected to your transceiver's IF output. I now have an RSP2pro.

There are three approaches that can be taken to provide a Spectrum-Waterfall display with the ability to show active DX callsigns:

A. Convince the developers of an existing SDR Console application to provide an API that Commander can invoke to display the
callsigns of active DX stations. Three obvious candidates are HDSDR, SDRuno, and SDR-Radio. SDR-Console is not a candidate.

B. Join an open source SDR console project, and extend it to provide an API that Commander can invoke to display the callsigns of
active DX stations. CubicSDR is the only candidate identified so far.

C. Develop an SDR console from scratch.

Approach A depends on convincing developers of proprietary software to provide an API. They likely have bigger fish to fry, but I
will make inquiries.

So far, approach B has exactly one candidate: CubicSDR. The project seems well-organized, but I haven't yet reviewed the source
code, or tested the waters with the project's active developers.

Approach C is the court of last resort, as it would require spending lots of time replicating functionality that already exists.

Questions:

1. If you've used CubicSDR, HDSDR, SDRuno, and/or SDR-Radio, what is your assessment of their strengths and weaknesses?

2. Are there other applications that should be considered as candidates for approaches A or B? I'd particularly like to identify
additional open source projects.

Dave, AA6YQ

Join DXLab@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.