Re: Backup app for W10 (Re: [DXLab] Windows 10 Blackscreen

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 2:41 PM Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

I can't live with that level of fear. I *won't*.

I ran a 2006 Dell P670 tower at N5UWY from about 2014 until 2017 (it was a cast-off from work). Replaced it with a NUC, which was a revelation on several levels (it's mounted on the VESA mount on the back of my display now). I don't fear it's doom any more than I did the Dell.

Since neither PC was my daily driver (that's a 2015 Macbook Pro with a Retina display) I only ever backed up my DXKeeper DB and my TQSL certificates (and config) because these days both applications make it far too easy to back up that stuff (to Dropbox in my case).

I don't fear my Macbook's impending doom either, but that I *do* back it up because Time Machine makes it way too easy.

Now then ... what is the Time Machine equivalent of Windows 10? Time Machine is just part of OS X and has been for years at this point.
It's always backing your stuff up but it only protects you against accidental deletions until you plug in an external disk. When you do that, it makes a bigger backup that is obviously not on the same disk (like the all-the-time backups) giving you some resiliency against the failure that keeps some of you up all night. The restore interface is fabulous, too.

If I can find a similar application for Windows 10, I will very likely use it. But what is it?

+ A continuous automatic backup mechanism pretty much has to be provided by an Operating System service. I'm not aware of Microsoft providing this capability.

+ I suggest the following actions to reduce your fear:
My writing could have been more clear, I guess: I don't care. :-)
The only thing that would make me sad if they were to disappear would
be my DXKeeper DB and my TQSL certificates and configs so I back those
up. Everything else is disposable.

But if there were a Windows back tool that was as simple to use at
Time Machine, I'd probably use it. I see "File History" and it lets
me backup to an external disk so I will look at that ... I assume
it's an actual backup tool (judging from the settings) and not some
magical Microsoft fake backup thing.