Re: Ci-V collisions in Commander

Michael Ernst

Dave AA6YQ,

Since you are the developer of Commander, I suspect that much of your experience is based on that application suite. I have used many different software packages over the years and not all control the rig, some are just reading data from it via a COM port. And maybe as you said they were defective? So I suspect over the years I have just gotten into the habit of setting device manager as well as all other software and hardware com port settings to be the same baud rate. That certainly can’t be bad thing, I wouldn't think. And then over time convinced myself that they had to be the same in all situations (I am 68 years old and a little forgetful occasionally, hi).

I already previously stated in another email that I was incorrect in the case where the software performing rig control did override the windows device settings.

Thanks and 73,
Mike, AE8U

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ
Sent: Friday, January 4, 2019 3:59 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Ci-V collisions in Commander

What Stan N1ZX reported is that Commander's CI-V light is illuminating, revealing the presence of collisions.

Stan did not say that Commander could no longer control his radio, so the debate about baud rates is not relevant to his report.

In the ~25 years that I have been developing Windows applications that control transceivers via serial ports, I have never once changed the baud rate via the Windows Device Properties tab. It is only necessary to change the baud rate in the transceiver, and in Commander.

Perhaps it's possible to develop a transceiver control application that depends on the Windows Device Properties tab being configured with the desired baud rate; if so, I would consider such an application to be defective.

Dave, AA6YQ

-----Original Message-----
From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Ernst
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2019 1:51 PM

Bill G4WJS,

I am almost certain that what I stated is correct, but I will test to verify and let you know.

Mike, AE8U

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

-------- Original message --------
Date: 1/4/19 13:34 (GMT-05:00)

On 04/01/2019 18:27, Michael Ernst wrote:
I believe that is not correct.
Mike,

your belief is incorrect. All that is required is the serial port parameters in the application must be compatible with those the device being controlled (e.g. a CAT controlled rig via a real or virtual serial port), including the baud rate. The default parameters set in the COM port device properties are not relevant as they are overridden by the application when it opens the port.

I have never had to change the device properties in any Windows version for a COM port, whatever baud rate or other COM port configurations parameter were required by a serial device connected to it.

Bill
G4WJS.

--

Bill

G4WJS.

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virus-free. www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>

Join DXLab@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.