Re: <stop> macro ??

ve3ki

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a successful fix for this. It has been around since the beginning with the K3, over 10 years ago now. Elecraft did make firmware changes several years ago to address the situation, but perhaps their efforts may have been only partially successful. It looks as if there may be some kind of race condition in the radio's firmware that causes it to get confused about the TX/RX status of the radio if a PTT command via the rear panel PTT jack arrives while a CAT command to switch PTT is already being processed, and/or vice versa.

There is a simple workaround that applies regardless of which radio control software you are using: don't use two methods of PTT control in parallel. If you are using PTT via CAT command, don't connect anything to the transceiver's PTT input. Conversely, if you are using a hardware PTT signal, e.g. from a SignaLink, don't enable PTT via CAT command in your software.

Incidentally, instead of disabling PTT via CAT in Commander, could you not also achieve the same result by configuring WinWarbler's Configuration window, PTT tab, PTT Mode pane to select None instead of Xcvr Ctrl App? This may be a distinction without a difference...

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 05:35 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave - thanks. That does solve the problem with WinWabler. And not to belabor the point, But I guess what I don't understand with regard to the Elecraft transceivers getting confused. Is why does the KX3 work fine using WSJT_X program and FLDIGI in terms of going to Tx and Rx, and the <start> cmd in WinWabler works fine. So why is only one macro cmd in WW that the PTT isn't working and we have to make the change to suppress the CAT.

+ The difference in behavior among applications is likely the result of differences in timing between CAT instructions being issued and your Signalink's VOX responding to soundcard output. This is unquestionably a defect in the KX3, one that I suspect several Elecraft owners reported years ago when it was first encountered in the K3. The workaround is easy enough; in my opinion, however, holes should be filled the instant they are discovered, lest more users fall into them.

+ As a KX3 and K3 owner, perhaps you can persuade Elecraft to correct this defect.