Re: FSK

Dave AA6YQ

* more AA6YQ comments below

Interesting thing is that on my computer the lower Com 5 is the B port and Com 6 is the A port.

* When the IC-7851 was first released and created two virtual serial ports when connected to a computer via a USB A-B cable, I and several others went round and round with Icom on how to determine which virtual port supported transceiver control and which virtual port supported FSK and CW generation. Eventually, Icom's response was "the lower-numbered virtual port supports transceiver control, and the higher-numbered port supports FSK and CW generation", so that's what was documented in "Getting Started with DXLab".

* Icom has since released a manual that on page 9 describes using the last letter of a virtual port's "Device Instance Path" property - A or B - to determine its function:

<http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/pdf/USB_Port_Setting_Ver.1.0_Eng.pdf>

* I have updated these two articles to reference the appropriate section of this manual:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConnectingIcom72007600>

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FSKConnection>

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 03:57 pm, James Wolf wrote:

I should have mentioned that the radio is an IC-7610.

+ The IC-7610 includes a built-in FSK interface. Unfortunately, Icom forgot to include an "Operating RTTY" section in chapter 4 of the IC-7610 Instruction Manual.

+ When you connect your IC-7610 to your PC with a standard USB A-B cable, two virtual serial ports are created. The lower-numbered virtual port is to be used (by Commander) for transceiver control. The higher-numbered virtual port can be configured for FSK Mark/Space switching via the DTR or RTS modem control signals; this is controlled by the "USB Keying (RTTY)" menu item on page 8-6 of the IC-7610 Instruction Manual. EXTFSK should be configured to use the appropriate modem control signal on the higher-numbered virtual port.