Re: Windows 10 users: heads up!

Steve K8JQ

Thanks guys for the version determination advice. Turns out I am at Version 1709, so I have not been spring updated.

Let's say I disable "automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for your devices", which, I assume, means or includes drivers. Leave it disabled for how long? And how will I know when to reenable that function? And when reenabled, won't Windows proceed to install the questionable drivers anyway?

Steve, K8JQ

On 5/13/2018 8:47 PM, Gilbert Baron wrote:

Much easier is just Press Windows Key and enter WINVER and it will tell you.

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of RIchard Thorne
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2018 19:36
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Windows 10 users: heads up!

In the search bar type in about your pc.  Click on about your pc.

A window will open up.  You may need to scroll down a bit to Windows Specifications.  It will tell you which version you have.

Rich - N5ZC

On 5/13/2018 7:30 PM, Steve wrote:

Where can I look on my Windows 10 Home desktop to determine if I have been updated to version 1803?

Steve, K8JQ

On 5/13/2018 4:53 PM, Richard Clare wrote:

When I choose : No let me choose what to do I do not get any of the three choices illustrated. Richard wb6ewm

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2018 9:27 AM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Windows 10 users: heads up!

Hi Dave and the group,

In the last couple of days all three computers here have been updated to Windows 10 version 1803 build 17134.48 without issue.  These were lengthy updates with multiple parts and restarts.  I did use Dave's, AA6YQ, suggestion below to stop the automatic update of drivers.

Thank you, Dave!

73, art w2nra

On 5/1/2018 20:10, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

A report from a trusted source indicates that Windows 10 version 1803 has significant stability problems. At minimum, direct Windows
to create a "restore point" and backup your log before allowing an upgrade to this version.

There have also been reports that Windows 10 has been replacing device drivers provided by Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu with generic
drivers that do not perform well. This article from 2015 explains how to prevent that from happening:

<http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10>

Dave, AA6YQ

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Join DXLab@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.