Re: Enabling control of the Spectrum-Waterfall window via user-defined command sequences

Björn SM7IUN

Dave,

putting a few more minutes of thought into this I have not been able to poke any holes in the concept.

However, if there was a way to also manage the REF level it would be even better.

My experience from writing own programs doing this I have found that when zooming in you typically want to increase the REF level with around 10dB when coming from displaying a "mode" sub band and around 15dB when you come from displaying an entire band.

When working a pile-up I find it extremely valuable to be able to see traces of as many competitor's as possible in the waterfall, so the adjustment of the REF level is quite critical.

What complicates things a bit is that you do not want this new REF level to be "remembered" when you return to "normal" waterfall operation.

Since doing all this automatically may introduce unacceptable complexity in both the code and for the user a solution could be to introduce a fifth "display mode", perhaps called "Zoom".
(or "User" or "Custom" or something even better I haven't thought of)

Just like CW, Data, Phone, and Band, Zoom would have it's own REF level and band edges but not necessarily a button to click.

I think it would be sufficient if its sub band edges could only be set via a command sequence. (But the REF level slider should of course be "Zoom Ref Level".)

And the "Zoom" sub band/state should be automatically selected when a command manipulating it is invoked.

This way you can have unique settings for this special case but everything would "go back to normal" when you activate a spot or click one of the range buttons in the Spectrum-Waterfall window.

73,

Björn SM7IUN

Dave,

In it's simplicity this is absolutely brilliant!

My Windows and Python pile-up zoom programs to do the same thing are both over 200 lines each...

73

Björn

Proposed new commands for use with the Spectrum-Waterfall window:

1. where M can be Centered or Fixed

2. where L is the lower bound and U is the upper bound

L and U can be specified with one of these 5 forms:

A+F
A-F
B+F
B-F

where

F is a frequency in KHz
A refers to VFO A or the Main VFO
B refers to VFO B or the Sub VFO

By using and <IFSPLIT>, it should be possible to construct user-defined command sequences for all relevant scenarios.

Concerns? Objections? Better ideas?