Re: DXLab and Linux Wine

Roy Jackson

I tried this a couple of years ago with a MicroKeyer II. It actually worked rather well, even for someone who is not an IT professional. I just never settled on a Linux ham radio program that I liked. CQRLog is not bad. Probably if I hadn't tried several Windows based ham radio packages (DXLab Suite, HRD, Log4OM, EQFLog, LOGic, etc.) I would have been happy with CQRLog. It just didn't do everything that the Windows packages were doing . . . at least not as far as I could tell. When I had a shack I kept a Windows box running just for ham radio software. Pretty much everything else was done on the Linux box. Now that I am HOA challenged, I just run a Linux computer, but I do keep the dual-boot option available, just in case. 73.

Roy Jackson KW4G Naples, Florida USA

On 10/17/2017 02:26 PM, 'Joe Subich, W4TV' lists@... [dxlab] wrote:

> Now I am wondering if anyone has figured out a way to use a microHam
> Keyer II under Linux... a big piece of the puzzle here.

See: http://mhuxd.dj5qv.de/

Not supported by microHAM.

... Joe, W4TV

On 10/17/2017 2:11 PM, kg6tt@... [dxlab] wrote:
> Thanks, very good information. Gives me a research path.
>
> I haven't used Linux since I retired. I had entire server farms running Linux and BSD and a number of workstations, but that was in a professional environment. I guess it was the lack of Linux ham radio software that kept me from using Linux for my hobby. I often thought about writing software for the hobby, but life kept getting in the way. Anyway, I am getting increasingly frustrated with Microsoft products... mainly their forced updates and the mischief they can cause.
>
> I find that I am not 'sampling' so many programs these days. Pretty much running a select few. I'd already have switched over to a Linux distro but my SSD isn't large enough for two environments.
>
> I do, however, see a time coming when there will be a lot more Linux program development. I have friends that run their stations using WINE already.
>
> It was good to hear your success with DXLab in a VM environment. Now I am wondering if anyone has figured out a way to use a microHam Keyer II under Linux... a big piece of the puzzle here.
>
> Thanks again.
> Jerry, KG6TT
>

Join DXLab@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.