Re: New PC thread?

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 3:28 PM, 'Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@ambersoft.com
[dxlab] <dxlab@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Comparing the prices of new and refurbished equipment is "apples and oranges".

I understand that but here, assuming no displays or serial cards, it's
*quite* a bit cheaper. Hard to compare the Amazon Certified Refurbs
because their just "older enough" that the CPUs don't really match.

Lenovo refurb with Core i5-2400/16GB (config not listed)/2TB SATA 7200
rpm - $269 shipped

PowerSpec new with Core i5-6500/2 x 8 GB/2TB SATA 7200 rpm - $600
(would have to pick it up at MicroCenter in Dallas).

Similar, but not the same, surely (slots and bays, for one), and one
is *new*, but new is double. Dunno if either has the ability to
mirror the disks. Neither appears to have the ability to support 2
displays out of the box, so I'd need to add another video card
regardless (assuming none of the ones laying around here will work in
newer slots).

A lot of appeal to going cheap and mirroring the disks and backing up
the important stuff (DXLab configs, TQSL .tbks, which I already do).

Decisions, decisions.