Re: Underhanded MS

K3BZ

​Leaving aside the fact that Windows 7 is a fine, modern OS, you've
missed the point. The OP was not given any choice in the matter.
You are wrong. If the op had disabled automatic update in Windows 7(I ran Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 that way for years), it would not have automatically updated to Windows 10. The information has been outthere for months on how to prevent automatic updates using the tools in Windows 7 *or* using third party tools.

Joe... Actually, he's right... I was not given any choice. Win 10 isn't an "update", it's a whole new OS. Perhaps it was naive of me, but I never expected MS to disguise Win 10 as a "Windows Update". That's the underhanded part. In fact, when I discovered the trickery, I tried to make the best of it but Win 10 seemed so radically different from anything that went before... I was lost. I couldn't even find the DXLab Suite. When I heard I could return to the completely satisfactory Win 7, I jumped at the chance. Unfortunately, there were apparently some potholes in that road also and I fell in. I'm not even close to being as well-informed or capable with software as you are, Joe, so I went to a local "professional" who got me back to familiar territory... but with some consequences to previously installed programs, like DXLab apps.

Now I'm apparently faced with the necessity of wiping my entire HDD and starting all over again. And you seem to be saying it's my own damn fault. I don't need or expect sympathy, but the blame game doesn't help either.

My friend, I happen to know you're a top-notch professional at this stuff, so do you really think my experience is comparable to yours? :-)

73.....Jerry K3BZ

On 6/12/2016 12:20 PM, 'Joe Subich, W4TV' lists@subich.com [dxlab] wrote:
​Leaving aside the fact that Windows 7 is a fine, modern OS, you've
missed the point. The OP was not given any choice in the matter.
You are wrong. If the op had disabled automatic update in Windows 7
(I ran Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 that way for years), it would not have
automatically updated to Windows 10. The information has been out
there for months on how to prevent automatic updates using the tools
in Windows 7 *or* using third party tools.

I upgraded three (four if you count the old Mac Mini) from Windows 7
or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 when it became public and only one issue
but that was a hardware failure (drive problem) unrelated to Windows
10. Once I replaced the drive and restored that system (reinstalled
Windows 7), that system upgraded to Windows 10 and has run with no
issues for 10 months.

Unless one is running hardware at end of life (e.g. single core Pentium
or similar AMD processor with less than 1 GB of RAM) there is no reason
to avoid the Windows 10 upgrade.

On 6/12/2016 12:04 PM, Peter Laws plaws0@gmail.com [dxlab] wrote:
On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Rich - W3ZJ rich@w3zj.com [dxlab] <
dxlab@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

If we all had that attitude we'd still be running DOS. It wasn't broke so
why did we all upgrade to Windows? I realize that's an exaggeration but
Windows 10 is three releases newer than Windows 7. It's time to replace
it, not because Windows 7 is broken but because it's outdated.
​Leaving aside the fact that Windows 7 is a fine, modern OS, you've missed
the point. The OP was not given any choice in the matter. Were he still
running MS-DOS, he would not be forced to add Windows 3.0 to his system.
Here, Windows 7 has forced him to update to Windows 10. That's a bad
business model and probably reflects MS' (and the whole Wintel duopoly's)
shrinking relevance. ​

I've got GWX on my systems (mostly VMs) that run W7 and that seems to be
preventing M$ making decisions for me. W7 Enterprise (to which I'm
entitled via my employer) has yet to be included in M$' forced march to
W10, so GWX may be overkill there.

​GWX: ​
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

Posted by: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>