reliable system... and who doesn't want that?

Problem is I didn't get a Win7 disk with this machine.

73.....Jerry K3BZ

On 6/11/2016 11:21 PM, ' Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@ambersoft.com [dxlab] wrote:
AA6YQ comments below
-----Original Message-----
From: dxlab@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dxlab@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2016 11:06 PM
To: dxlab@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [dxlab] Underhanded MS

I thought I had resolved my long-standing problem with LotW uploads not working properly, and I had made an LotW upload successfully. I was continuing to test it and suddenly, one morning, I discovered that somehow Win10 had been downloaded and installed, something I had been carefully avoiding. Investigation revealed Win10 had been disguised as an update and was installed under my (foolishly trusting) set-up allowing automatic download and install of Windows updates. Needless to say, I was NOT amused... but I soon found out MS had done this with many others. Apparently MS had also provided a way to go back to Win7... as long as I did so within 30 days. I followed the provided instructions but somehow it not only didn't work but seemed to completely crash the OS.... Win10 / Win7... whatever it was. A friend in the business was kind enough to fix it, revert it back to Win7, and remove the capability for this to happen again. I, of course, switched to manual approval of all future
Windows "updates". I will never again trust Microsoft.

All seemed well until I discovered a few programs had probably become corrupted in the process described above... including nearly all of the DXLab apps.... but I do have backups of my log and workspaces that I believe are OK. Some other programs this has happened to seemed to only be responsive to uninstall / reinstall, which I am happy to do but I seem to recall some advice given here NOT to do that. Would that be because there may be remnants of the corrupt apps still nesting in the registry... that may cause even more problems on the reinstall? What is recommended? Should I uninstall with Revo Uninstaller and have it clean up the remnants? Or use a registry cleaner like CCCleaner (never used it, but have been told it's good???)

Note: In trying to boot DXView, I get a window saying:

"Component 'MSWINSCK.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly
registered: a file is missing or invalid."

PV, SC, and WW DOTS in Launcher are black... while cmd, dxk, dxv, and pf DOTS are red. In Launcher Config, PV, SC, and WW are listed in red in the Application column, and do not show in the Installed column.

If a handful of .OCX or .DLL files are not registered, you could manually register them using the REGSVR32 function. However, the Launcher is telling you that the Windows Registry indicates that none of Commander, DXKeeper, DXView, or Pathfinder are installed.
If you want a reliable system, my advice is to
1. make sure you have viable copies of your files and workspaces, as described in

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/BackupRecovery>

2. wipe your C drive

3. install Windows 7

4. install your DXLab applications

5. restore your settings from the saved workspace, and restore your files

You could instead replace steps 2 through 4 above with "direct Revo to remove all traces of Commander, DXKeeper, DXView, and Pathfinder", and then direct the Launcher to install them, but there's no guarantee that this will succeed, or if it succeeds result in a reliable system.

73.....Jerry K3BZ

Posted by: "Jerry (K3BZ)" <k3bz@verizon.net>

Yahoo Groups Links

Posted by: " Dave AA6YQ" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>