Re: Commander: using Omnirig

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 10:08 AM, Rich - W3ZJ rich@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:
If you need 3 serial ports but have only 2 why not add 1 or more?
This is easily and inexpensively accomplished on a desktop computer by adding a PCI or PCIE serial port card (depending on what slots you have available).

​Sometimes easier than that if the board has header pins for COM ports.  Of course, you still need the connectors (that come in the form of a plate that fits in a hole provided for the above-mentioned PCI card ...

Come to think of it, a whole serial card (versus just the connectors) probably isn't very expensive in 2016​, so ...

If you can do it, because you have the slots (or the header pins!), dot it because it's much simpler, configuration wise, than going the USB-Serial route. I have hard ports, a 4-port USB-serial, and a bunch of virtual serial ports in a device, and I spend a lot of time fighting with them to make sure that COM4 is really COM4 and COM9 is really COM9, etc.