Re: Making Workspaces Easier

K3BZ

I think the revised button labels below are more intuitive, Dave� :-)
73,� Jerry K3BZ

On 2/8/2016 12:37 AM, ' Dave AA6YQ' aa6yq@... [dxlab] wrote:
Many thanks for all of the comments and suggestions so far!

The Launcher's "mission" is to enable users to manage the DXLab Suite's separate applications without much more fuss than would be
required to manage a monolithic application. Since each application has its own settings that are stored in the Windows Registry
between operating sessions, there were two needs:

1. the ability to save settings to a file that could then be backed up for safekeeping, and the ability to restore settings from a
file after an event that requires re-installing Windows, or after an application's settings were inadvertently modified

2. the ability to switch between different "sets of settings", e.g. when changing operating style (DXing vs. rag chewing vs. net
operations) or when changing operators sharing the same computer

The concept of a Workspace -- which is simply a folder containing one file of registry settings for each DXLab application --
satisfies both needs. Given that these needs are unique to DXLab, we should  continue to refer to this concept with its (relatively)
unique name: "Workspace".

The Launcher's Workspaces window is not going to reside on any user's monitor for long. Thus expanding it a bit to accommodate the
use of larger captions for the four Workspace buttons is entirely reasonable.

The first word of each caption should be a verb.

After reviewing your posts, I now propose that the buttons be named

"Create Empty Workspace"

"Save Settings to Workspace"

"Restore Settings from Workspace"

"Delete Workspace"

Comments, suggestions, and better ideas are still welcome.

A new version of the Launcher is imminent; I've been holding off until the VP8SGI operation is completed. I expect to include the
new Workspace button names in this new version.

Posted by: " Dave AA6YQ"

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: