Re: Kenwood TS 50 computer connection

Mike - AA1AR

Hi Kevin,

I made a USB cable for a friend in the local club who has a TS-50.

It’s an FTDI pre-made cable; I just needed to attach the appropriate connector.

$20 for the parts (plus tax & shipping) from Digi-Key.  Here are the part numbers:

768-1069-ND --- CABLE USB SERIAL USER CFG IO LVL --- $19.45

455-1129-ND --- CONN HOUSING ZH 6POS 1.5MM --- $0.15

455-1130-1-ND --- CONN TERM CRIMP ZH 26-28AWG --- $0.34  (minimum order of 10 @ 0.034 each, you only need 6)

I’ll need to dig up which color wire goes in which position, if you’re interested…

I use an FTDI cable with a 6-pin DIN plug on my TS-690S.  Working great for several years now.

73, Mike – AA1AR