Re: Rotator-Computer Interface

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
-----Original Message-----
From: dxlab@yahoogroups.com [mailto:dxlab@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of w3qt_mike
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:07 PM
To: dxlab@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [dxlab] Rotator-Computer Interface

What a fantastic suite of programs for the radio! The more familiar I become with it the more goodies I want!!! I'd like to use
the rotor control capabilities of DXView and could use some advice. I have two rotors but am interested in only interfacing one -
Yaesu G-1000DXA, but I am not going to pay Yaesu's outlandish price for an interface. Any suggestions for an interface so I can
enjoy DXView's capabilities?

I have the corpse of a Yaesu G-2800SDX sitting on the shelf to remind me to never again buy a Yaesu rotator controller. One of
the "levers" deep within its mechanical kludge of a dial system stopped working correctly, which prevented the entire thing from
operating. In hopes of working around this failure, I reviewed the controller's schematic; this lead me to conclude that the
mechanical engineer who designed the dial system also did the digital circuit design.

I've read some about Idiom Press but hesitate based on concerns raised about support. Thanks.

I have no personal experience with the Idiom Press controller, and have also seen the "had trouble getting a response to
questions" posts elsewhere. However, interactions here with ops using DXView to control their Idiom Press devices have been
uniformly positive.