Re: SSD's for replacements WAS :Re: DXKeeper 10.3.7 won't launch resolved

Joe Subich, W4TV

Don't know about number of rewrites but check your motherboard and operating system carefully before trying to add a SSD.

There is limited support for SSD in Windows XP - it lacks TRIM so
is not efficient in allocation of space. Second be careful with
interface specifications - I purchased an SSD for my main system
but its interface was SATA3 (6 Gb) only and the the motherboard
only supported SATA (1.5 Gb) and SATA2 (3 Gb). I selected the drive
I did based on reliability information as the older SSDs with the
SATA/SATA 2 interfaces appeared to be substantially less reliable
than the current generation of devices.

On 8/6/2012 7:36 AM, Chuck Chandler wrote:
I've read about the SSD's failing after a certain amount of read/writes...
is this an issue?

73 de Chuck, WS1L

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 5:18 AM, Rich - W3ZJ <rich@...> wrote:

**

Solid State Drives (SSD) are indeed now appearing in the mainstream.
They are still a bit more expensive per megabyte than rotating electro
mechanical hard drives. But they are fast, reliable and finally
available in usable capacities (128, 256 and 512 GB). My wife has a
128GB SSD in her new Toshiba Ultabook, an amazingly small and light full
featured Laptop, and as Dave said, it "Screams".

73, Rich - W3ZJ

Chuck Chandler wrote:
A complete check disk found and replaced some bad sectors. All now works
as it should.

A review of Event Viewer shows no 1005 errors in the Application Log
until
today.

DXKeeper had no errorlog.txt, and Launcher had one with a single entry
from
back in 2011.

I'll keep a careful eye on the hard drive, and start checking into
replacing it.

73 de Chuck, WS1L