I was off work a few years ago for a several months. Used part of that time to computerize my paper logs from the mid-1960's forward. Have about 125K entries.

My previous computer was a Pentium 4 1.5GHz, 1GB Windows XP machine that took about three minues for DXKeeper to start. My "new" machine -- my son's two year old castoff -- is a 2GHz, 2GB Dell desktop running 64-bit Windows 7. DXKeeper starts in about 30 seconds on it.

Steve K8JQ

On 4/30/2012 6:15 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
AA6YQ comments below
-----Original Message-----
From: dxlab@... [mailto:dxlab@...]On Behalf Of
Steve
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2012 3:28 PM
To: dxlab@...
Subject: Re: [dxlab] How far back/how complete are your DXKeeper logs?

When you add lots of QSO's and the log gets big . . . is there a limit of
whatever sort to how large the .mdb file for DXKeeper can grow?

Yes: your log file cannot exceed 2 gigabytes in size, which limits you to
~2 million QSOs.

Or should be allowed to grow? Are tens of megabytes OK? How about hundreds
of megabytes file size?

The largest log I've tested contains 219K QSOs and is 181 megabytes in
size. With Outlook, Chrome, and the rest of the Suite running, starting
DXKeeper and opening this log takes ~10 seconds on this system (Intel 6600
core duo at 2.4 GHz with 3.25 GB of RAM and a normal-speed hard drive, on XP
SP3). Typing a callsign into the Filter panel and clicking the Call button
takes 2-3 seconds to display previous QSOs with that callsign. Starting
DXKeeper and opening my 20K QSO log takes ~5 seconds; typing a callsign into
the Filter panel and clicking the Call button takes less than half a second
to display previous QSOs.