From: Stephen Budensiek
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:42 PM I
To: dxlab@...
Subject: Re: [dxlab] Parallel port needed

Joe,
I think we're talking of apples and oranges. The problem is not that
the port won't operate under XP, it is that it doesn't output the Commander
data and hold it. I can plug a printer into the 9835 or 9865 for LPT,
works fine. But as Dave has written the code, it needs to hold the
output, ie, data for relay for ant one, two, three, four, and change and
hold for a new band antenna when Commander changes. That it does not
do. Only the machine with the Legacy LPT1 on the motherboard does that,
flawlessly. I've noticed all the new PCI board parallel ports implement
the latest parallel port version software, I'm beginning to wonder if that
is an issue, if I had something with PCI LPT ver 1 software implementation,
it might well solve it, or if I knew, could find out how to implement the
various LPT modes, ie SPP, PS2, EPP,ECP. I saw one site that stated only
one of the modes, maybe ECP makes the LPT port bi-directional. Again,
that might have to be coded in the DXLab code to implement the correct
mode. The one that works is a Gigabyte K8N dual-core Athlon motherboard,
XP Pro SP3, with LPT1 on the motherboard, from the late 1990's. When I
get to feeling better again, the project will continue, with my o'scope in
the mix to monitor pin data.

73's de Stephen, K0SD

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

**

I needed to download the Windows 7 driver from MOSchip directly - don't
remember which vendor's clone of the MOSchip design I have but SIIg,
Rosewill, etc. are all essentially identical.

I have run the same board under XP - that machine has swappable boot
drives but I have not had either XP or Vista/32 in it for well over a
year. The LPT port is at E800 ... no problem with any of the three
operating systems (just for grins I plugged in the XP Boot drive and
it still works properly).

On 3/10/2012 9:05 PM, Stephen Budensiek wrote:
> Joe,
That's the card I have in this machine right now. The driver date is
12/24/2008, version 2.0.0.16. The driver on the cd that came with it had
driver dated 2001, when I did the Microsoft driver update site a few
weeks
ago, it loaded this, but didn't change anything. The resources it uses
are
8800-8807, I get no response from that address. The second resource
setting is 8C00-8C07. Putting the 8C00 address in gets me the initial
setting in commander, but it doesn't change to follow band changes in
commander. I'm wondering if it is actually strobing the port and I need
to latch it, but it's too fast to see without the scope connected. I'll
give that a try. I thought maybe it was related to the non-legacy
address, the syba manufacturer suggested that and XP setting their own
resources that can't be modified when I emailed them. Exhausted every
other resouce to find a answer. Sybe Customer Service said I needed a
card
that would do the Legacy address, because the XP system allocated an
address, you can't modify/change it, like you can in Win98. I'm out of
ideals. Part of what I'm up to, I'd like to have multiple parallel ports,
so I can do the parallel port keyer configuration, along with the antenna
switch. That will take 2 parallel ports.
One of my early employer used some stuff made by a company called Black
Box, that you could plug their board into the ISA bus, load their
software,
and bring several byte's out of the machine (bi-directional), handy for
early prom readers and the sort, but haven't found anything for PCI buss,
unless it was in the several hundred $ range.
Anyway, grasping at straws now...

73's de Stephen, K0SD

************************

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV<lists@...>
wrote:

**

Have an older MOSchip 9835 for Win98-XP, it at least puts the initial
data for the relay on the parallel port when it is first chosen, then
never changes and follows the display in Commander.
My MOSChip 9835 based PCIe board works just fine with Windows 7/64 and
driver version 2.0.0.18 dated 1/20/2010. I haven't used the parallel
port recently but did check it with Commander and WinWarbler and there
are no issues. As I recall, there were a couple of settings that had
to be changed from the defaults in Windows Device Manager for the LPT
port but I no longer remember what they were. I note the port is set
to never use an interrupt and Legacy PNP detection is enabled.

On 3/10/2012 4:50 PM, Stephen Budensiek wrote:
Hello all,
Guess I need to find out what drivers work. I have one of the MOSchip
9865 cards that support Win98-Win7. I get absolutely no response from
that, using the driver CD that came with it. Serial ports works OK,
it's
my com3 port for RTTY FSK and tx key. Updated drivers from microsoft's
driver site. The LPT memory is mapped in windows to 8800 and 8C00 for
parallel, tried both those addresses in Commanders setup as given in
the
help files. No response.
Have an older MOSchip 9835 for Win98-XP, it at least puts the initial
data for the relay on the parallel port when it is first chosen, then
never
changes and follows the display in Commander. If I changed it to
another
band, then change Commander setup to another LPT (non-existant), then
return it to the correct LPT setting, it will write the correct data as
shown in the Commander window, but it is static, never changes with
band
after that.
I go to a motherboard with the LPT port on the motherboard, and it
works
100%, parallel data out follows the display in Commander. Works like a
dream, just like the DXLab help file shows. Guess I could have 2 bad
MOSchip 2ser/1par cards with different controllers, but the LPT ports
work
OK with a printer. Guess I could have a XP Pro issue, but all else
works
OK. I initally loaded the drivers from the little CD that came with
each
boards, when that didn't work, I then went out to the microsoft site to
look for updated drivers, which it found. Didn't solve anything. OS is
XP
Pro, SP3, 32 bit on all machines. But the only one that works is one
with
a motherboard LPT port with Legacy mapping. The relay data on the LPT
port
follows the display in Commander flawlessly.
My big machine with the motherboard LPT port , 2TB drives, lot of
memory, I need in another location, but it has me tied down.

73's de Stephen, K0SD

***************************************

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 11:50 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV<lists@...>
wrote:

**

Has anyone found a USB to parallel cord/ dongle that will work with
XP Pro (or Vista),
No. The USB/Parallel adapters are not memory mapped which is required
by Commander.

or a PCI serial/parallel card that works like an old Legacy
motherboard LPT port (that is, it holds the data that Commander puts
out)?
Yes. Any of the PCI/PCIe serial/parallel cards with a MOSchip chip set
seem to work just fine with DXKeeper (and N1MM Logger) if you have the
right drivers.

If you're looking for new cards, the Rosewill, SIIG or StarTech cards
here should work. I've used them in previous systems:
<
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007531%20600022013&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

On 3/9/2012 11:19 PM, Stephen Budensiek wrote:
Hello all,
Trying to work with the software Dave has in Commander, where you
can output to a parallel port, and control antenna switches. Problem
I'm having, if you have a motherboard without a parallel port, I
cannot get this to work. It won't work with any USB to Parallel port
cable or dongle I've tried, nor any PCI slot to serial/parallel card
I've tried. OS is Windows XP Pro, it's a lot easier with Win98.
Problem one, they don't use the old Legacy LPT address, and two, they
don't hold the data at the parallel plug. Has anyone found a USB to
parallel cord/ dongle that will work with XP Pro (or Vista), or a PCI
serial/parallel card that works like an old Legacy motherboard LPT
port (that is, it holds the data that Commander puts out)? I've
already spent too many hours on the project, figure other's have
found
something that will work.

73's de Stephen, K0SD