HAM RADIO NEWS 9/6/21

mike witkowski

Current ham radio news

As an SWL in the late 1980’s / early 1990’s, I used to write letters (not emails, but actual airmail letters) to Antoine 3D2AG. He most probably has forgotten we used to write to each other every few months, but I never did. Just today, in a garage clear-out, I came across a box of […]

The post Found in a box ! first appeared on DX-World.

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3n6kb1A September 05, 2021 at 08:08AM

via RSS Feed https://www.dx-world.net/found-in-a-box/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=found-in-a-box

Current ham radio news

Many thanks to SWLing Post contributor, Bill Rogers, for the following guest post: “Lost Radio” by Bill Rogers When I was ten years old I lost my first wristwatch and my first radio. I think I have been trying to get them back ever since. It was all part of a rather catastrophic family vacation […]

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3l0c2c2 September 05, 2021 at 03:08PM

via RSS Feed https://swling.com/blog/2021/09/bill-rogers-and-the-lost-radio/

Current ham radio news

Here we take a look at the RS-HFIQ 5 Watt HF SDR Transceiver by HobbyPCB.

The RS-HFIQ is an open-source HF transceiver project designed to translate I and Q baseband signals to RF in the 80/60/40/30/20/17/15/12/10M Amateur Radio bands. The I and Q signals must be provided/processed by external signal processing which could be a PC running Software Defined Radio software or a stand-alone digital signal processor

The receiver in the RS-HFIQ consists of 5 band-pass filters to reject out-of-band signals, an LNA with frequency dependent gain and a conventional quadrature down-converter.

The transmitter in the RS-HFIQ uses a Quatrature up-converter followed by the same band-pass filters used by the receivers, a 5W power chain and a low-pass filter bank.

The Local Oscillator is based on a Silicon Labs SI5351 chip that can product up to 3 RF outputs, the LO signal for the up/down-converter, a built-in test signal for calibrating I and Q offsets and an external signal.

The control of the SI5351 and all switching functions is provided by an Arduino Nano running open-source software and programmed with the Arduino IDE.

Special care has been taken to insure noise and ground-loop set-up. The RS-HFIQ has three separate DC isolated ground planes; RF/Chassis ground, Baseband/Audio ground and Digital ground. This allows the same PC to be connected to the audio in/out and the USB port on the Arduino Nano without creating noise/grounding issues.

5W not enough power?  Add a HARDROCK-50 to your station to boost up to 50W.  The RS-HFIQ and HARDROCK-50 seamlessly integrate together for a powerful base station!

Specifications

  • Frequency Range – 3-30MHz (performance guaranteed on 80/60/40/30/20/17/15/12/10M ham bands)
  • Sensitivity – MDS < -128 dBm on 80M dropping to < -135 on 10M (depending on processing bandwidth and sound card performance)
  • Noise Figure –
  • TX Power 5W typical, 4W minimum
  • LO Feed-thru < -50 dBc @ 5W output
  • Spurious and Harmonics < -50 dBc typical
  • DC Power 13.8VDC, 2 amp max plus USB power for the Arduino Nano
  • Size – 100MM x 160MM

Requirements

The RS-HFIQ is NOT a stand-alone transceiver, it is a part of a Software Defined Radio system. The SDR system consists of:

  • Radio front-end – The RS-HFIQ
  • Data conversion – Analog to Digital and Digital to Analog typically provided by a high-quality sound card
  • Computer hardware – A digital signal processor or high speed general purpose processor.
  • SDR Software – to process TX and RX signals

While many different configurations are possible and even encouraged, we have developed a ‘standard’ configuration that will help users new to SDR’s go up and running quickly. To get on the air with the RS-HFIQ in the standard configuration  you will need:

  • RS-HFIQ
  • StarTech – 96 KSPS sound card
  • Windows PC – running Windows 7, 8 or 10 with speakers and two available USB ports
  • 13.8V 3A power supply
  • Microphone
  • Various USB and audio cables
  • HDSDR and Omni-Rig software
  • A valid Amateur Radio license is required for transmitting
  • Antenna system

Visit the RS-HFIQ Transceiver Wiki for more information.

Review

Equipment

Antenna

App - Mobile

The post RS-HFIQ 5 Watt HF SDR Transceiver by HobbyPCB appeared first on QRZ NOW - Ham Radio News.

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3BJxFnN September 05, 2021 at 03:08PM

via RSS Feed https://qrznow.com/rs-hfiq-5-watt-hf-sdr-transceiver-by-hobbypcb/

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3l0c2c2 September 05, 2021 at 08:08PM

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3BJxFnN September 05, 2021 at 08:08PM

via RSS Feed https://qrznow.com/rs-hfiq-5-watt-hf-sdr-transceiver-by-hobbypcb/

Current ham radio news

WA7BNM Contest Calendar - 0000Z-0400Z, Sep 12

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3kQwbBu September 05, 2021 at 11:09PM

via RSS Feed https://www.contestcalendar.com/contestdetails.php?ref=253

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - Dating back to April 2017 with the release of the M1, Bob Greenberg's RFinder product line has both been around for a while and worked daily to create an 'ease of use' DMR Radio for Amateur Radio Operators

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/2Vjw60l September 06, 2021 at 05:08AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/september/2021-review-of-the-rfinder-b1.htm

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - CQ 7SEP September 7 - Brazil's Independance Day Special activation of ECRA's PR7CP station

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3BL8rWm September 06, 2021 at 05:08AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/september/brazil-independence-day-special-activation.htm

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - With public health restrictions currently in force, the Clubrooms are currently closed; The club continues to monitor the ongoing public health situation, hopeful that the doors can reopen again soon

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3l1k5W2 September 06, 2021 at 05:08AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/september/central-coast-amateur-radio-club-news.htm

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - According to the Amateur Radio Cluster Network for the week of Sunday, 29th August, through Sunday, 5th September there were 203 countries active

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/2WWLVe0 September 06, 2021 at 05:08AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/september/dxcc-country-entity-report-06-09.htm

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - New Zealand's NZART has published a new draft amateur radio band plan and comments are invited up until October 10

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3newNn4 September 06, 2021 at 05:08AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/september/new-draft-band-plan-for-new-zealand.htm

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - On Tuesday, the 7th of September 2021, from 2000 local time, the South Dublin Radio Club EI2SDR will host a Live Stream and Virtual Open Night. There will be two complimentary elements to this event

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/2VoJa4M September 06, 2021 at 05:08AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/september/sdr-live-stream.htm

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - Mark your calendar. 2021 marks the 100th year anniversary of the historic Trans-atlantic Tests where radio amateurs using the callsign 1BCG were responsible for the first successful radio communication across the Atlantic Ocean on 'short waves'

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/2VlLo4Q September 06, 2021 at 05:08AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/september/special-event-transatlantic-tests-of-1921.htm

Current ham radio news

NEWS UPDATE – Guinea in turmoil as soldiers claim power, announce curfew AUGUST 24 – Jean-Philippe, F1TMY (ex-J28PJ) will be active from Conakry, Guinea starting mid-September 2021. He has been issued with the callsign 3X2021 (although this callsign may change through time). He’ll be staying in Guinea for up to 5 years with side trips […]

The post 3X2021 – Guinea first appeared on DX-World.

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3lP3ffp September 06, 2021 at 07:08AM

via RSS Feed https://www.dx-world.net/3x2021-guinea/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=3x2021-guinea

RSS Feed

Manage