current ham radio news 6/17/21

mike witkowski

Radio Waves:  Stories Making Waves in the World of Radio Because I keep my ear to the waves, as well as receive many tips from others who do the same, I find myself privy to radio-related stories that might interest SWLing Post readers.  To that end: Welcome to the SWLing Post’s Radio Waves, a collection of links to interesting […]

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3cLoxoM June 16, 2021 at 07:09AM

via RSS Feed https://swling.com/blog/2021/06/radio-waves-tuning-in-the-world-subcarrier-signals-sstv-event-from-the-iss-and-israel-army-radio-shut-down/

Current ham radio news

Many thanks to SWLing Post contributor, Richard Langley, who follows up with the following information about the 2021 Midwinter Broadcast to Antarctica: As usual, there was a test of this year’s possible frequencies yesterday (14 June) from 21:30 to 21:45 UTC. They were: 6035 kHz from Dhabbaya 6170 kHz from Ascension 7305 kHz from Woofferton […]

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/2TEPund June 16, 2021 at 07:09AM

via RSS Feed https://swling.com/blog/2021/06/possible-frequencies-for-the-2021-bbc-midwinter-broadcast/

Current ham radio news

ARRL -

Father’s Day is Sunday, June 20. Get Dad the perfect gift this year, while supporting his favorite hobby. If you’re browsing Amazon for electronics, sporting goods, ham radio gear, and more, we invite you to shop at AmazonSmile and choose American Radio Relay League Inc. (ARRL) as your charity of choice.

With every purchase you make at AmazonSmile, Amazon will make a contribution to ARRL, to hel...

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/2SBEN4I June 16, 2021 at 10:09AM

via RSS Feed http://www.arrl.org/news/view/shop-arrl-and-amazon-smile-for-father-s-day

Current ham radio news

Father’s Day is Sunday, June 20. Get Dad the perfect gift this year, while supporting his favorite hobby. If you’re browsing Amazon for electronics, sporting goods, ham radio gear, and more, we invite you to shop at AmazonSmile and choose American Radio Relay League Inc. (ARRL) as your charity of choice.

With every purchase you make at AmazonSmile, Amazon will make a contribution to ARRL, to hel...

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/2SBEN4I June 16, 2021 at 10:09AM

via RSS Feed http://www.arrl.org/news/view/shop-arrl-and-amazon-smile-for-father-s-day

Current ham radio news

Current ham radio news

Current ham radio news

VP9EE. Henning, OZ2I will be active from Bermuda Islands, IOTA NA - 005, 11 - 16 August 2021, as VP9EE.

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3wIRcTa June 16, 2021 at 10:09AM

via RSS Feed https://dxnews.com/vp9ee/

Current ham radio news

CW operation by OZ2I. Participation in the Work All European DX Contest (14-15 August.) Full activity between August 11-16, 2021. QSL via H/c.

The post VP9EE – Bermuda first appeared on DX-World.

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3cJUuh8 June 16, 2021 at 10:09AM

via RSS Feed https://www.dx-world.net/vp9ee-bermuda/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=vp9ee-bermuda

Current ham radio news

S9OK Team will be active from Sao Tome Island, IOTA AF - 023, Sao Tome and Principe, 2 - 16 October 2021.

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3gE21zh June 16, 2021 at 01:09PM

via RSS Feed https://dxnews.com/s9ok/

Current ham radio news

ARRL -

The Atlantic hurricane season began on June 1 and continues through November 30, and two named storms have already shown up, although neither threatened the US. There’s still time to consider making sure you, your family, and your ham station are prepared. Remember, your family’s safety comes first.

Your first stop should be a visit to the National Weather Service (NWS) page for personal and fam...

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3gvvJYe June 16, 2021 at 01:09PM

via RSS Feed http://www.arrl.org/news/view/family-comes-first-during-hurricane-preparation-for-home-and-station

Current ham radio news

ARRL -

Full ARRL members in the Central, Hudson, New England, Northwestern, and Roanoke Divisions will have the opportunity this year to choose a Director and Vice Director for 3-year terms beginning on January 1, 2022. ARRL is now seeking eligible nominees for these positions. These could include incumbents or new candidates. It takes 10 full members in a Division to nominate a candidate for either o...

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/2S2iDIN June 16, 2021 at 01:09PM

via RSS Feed http://www.arrl.org/news/view/nominees-for-arrl-director-vice-director-solicited-in-five-divisions

Current ham radio news

[...]

OK1BOA, OK1CRM, OK1FCJ, OK1GK, OK2ZA, OK2ZC, OK2ZI and OK6DJ plan activity from Sao Tome as S9OK during October 2-16, 2021. QRV on 160-6m, CW, SSB & Digi.

The post S9OK – Sao Tome first appeared on DX-World.

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/2TAXiXo June 16, 2021 at 01:09PM

via RSS Feed https://www.dx-world.net/s9ok-sao-tome/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=s9ok-sao-tome

Current ham radio news

NEWS UPDATE – Oleh will again be active from Santa Rosa Island, NA-144 during June 19-21, 2021. QRV on 40m-2m CW, FT8 and SSB. JUNE 27, 2020 – Many thanks to Oleh, KD7WPJ for sending these pictures of his recent activity from Santa Rosa Island.    JUNE 16, 2020 – Oleh, KD7WPJ informs DX-World that he […]

The post KD7WPJ – Santa Rosa Island, NA-144 first appeared on DX-World.

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3daWOfh June 16, 2021 at 02:09PM

via RSS Feed https://www.dx-world.net/kd7wpj-santa-rosa-island-na-144/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=kd7wpj-santa-rosa-island-na-144

Current ham radio news

Here we take a look at the Pluto+ which has all the features the original Adalm Pluto should of had.

Pluto+ is a software-defined radio platform that supports 2TX 2RX, supports Gigabit Ethernet and Micro SD card. The design draws on the well-known ADI ADALM-PLUTO and improves its shortcomings.

Based on the improvement of the famous ADI SDR, XC7Z010, 512M memory, 32M Flash, supports dual-receiving and dual-transmitting (AD9363 has been hacked into AD9361 by default), the frequency supports 70M-6Ghz full duplex transceiver, Gigabit Ethernet interface, TF Card expansion, support TF card startup. JTAG, UART, Microusb 2.0 are all important, and several GPIOs can be used as extensions.

Use 40M voltage control temperature compensation crystal oscillator 0.5ppm and support external clock input, you can switch the internal and external clocks through the jumper cap. Also reserved the PTT button interface, using optocoupler isolation

The radio frequency part adopts independent shielding cover to isolate interference.

Support mainstream SDR software applications, SDR#, Sdrconsole, HDSDR, SDRangle, spectrum analyzer and other software.

Specification:

ADC/DAC: AD9363(Can hack to AD9361 or AD9364)

2 Transmit, 2 Receive channel

RF Range: 70MHZ~6GHZ

Ref Clock: VCTCXO 40MHZ 0.5ppm

SOC: Zynq7010 FPGA:28k

RAM: 512M

FLASH: 32M

USB: 2.0  support OTG

Ethernet: 1000Mb

Micro SD can use to boot

DC IN: 5V +-0.5V-2A microUSB

Antenna

Review

Equipment

BAOFENG BF-888S UHF FM

BAOFENG BF-888S UHF FM

BAOFENG BF-888S Product Features and Technical Details Product Features 50 CTCSS/105 CDCSS/VOX Function Voice Prompt/PC Programming/voice scramble/enc... Read more

News

The post Pluto Plus SDR – An Adalm Pluto Upgrade? appeared first on QRZ NOW - Ham Radio News.

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/35tjOnu June 16, 2021 at 04:09PM

via RSS Feed https://qrznow.com/pluto-plus-sdr-an-adalm-pluto-upgrade/

Current ham radio news

“Today I’m putting together my ham radio go box. It featutes an ICOM IC-7300 and Alinco DR-135. The box also includes a West Mountain Radio Epic Power Gate to allow for easy switching from battery to power supply.”

Antenna

Review

Equipment

News

The post My Ham Radio Go Box Wiring And Setup appeared first on QRZ NOW - Ham Radio News.

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3iKIqjv June 16, 2021 at 04:09PM

via RSS Feed https://qrznow.com/my-ham-radio-go-box-wiring-and-setup/

Current ham radio news

“Today I get to tell you about the AA-2000 Antenna Analyzer from RigExpert in the Ukraine. This is the Best Ham Radio Antenna Analyzer that I have ever owned, and it comes from a top-of-the-line company. Take a look at the link below for a DISCOUNT for my Subscribers from Gigaparts on this model, and all the other Antenna Analyzers.”

RigExpert AA-2000

The RigExpert AA-2000 is a powerful antenna analyzer designed for testing, checking, tuning or repairing antennas and antenna feedlines.

Graphical SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) and impedance, as well as Smith/polar chart displays are key features of these analyzers which significantly reduce the time required to adjust an antenna.

Easy-to use measurement modes, as well as additional features such as connection to a personal computer make RigExpert AA-600, AA-1000 and AA-1400 attractive for professionals and hobbyists.

The following tasks are easily accomplished by using these analyzers:

  • Rapid check-out of an antenna
  • Tuning an antenna to resonance
  • Antenna SWR and impedance measurement and comparison before and after specific event (rain, hurricane, etc.)
  • Making coaxial lines or measuring their parameters
  • Cable testing and fault location
  • Measuring capacitance or inductance of reactive loads

Antenna

Review

Equipment

News

The post RigExpert AA-2000 | Best Ham Radio Antenna Analyzer? appeared first on QRZ NOW - Ham Radio News.

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3gGF2n6 June 16, 2021 at 04:09PM

via RSS Feed https://qrznow.com/rigexpert-aa-2000-best-ham-radio-antenna-analyzer/

Current ham radio news

The Atlantic hurricane season began on June 1 and continues through November 30, and two named storms have already shown up, although neither threatened the US. There’s still time to consider making sure you, your family, and your ham station are prepared. Remember, your family’s safety comes first.

Your first stop should be a visit to the National Weather Service (NWS) page for personal and family hurricane season preparedness. Next, prepare your amateur radio station and equipment for possible service and/or deployment. For example, be sure to have multiple sources of back-up power, such as batteries and generators, and test them both to make sure they’ll do the job, if needed. Never test or run a generator indoors or in an enclosed area where anyone may be nearby.

“I poured fresh gasoline into my Honda EG2800i generator and ran it for 30 minutes to check its status, which was good,” said Rick Palm, K1CE, author of QST’s “Public Service” column. “I mounted my generator on a small utility trailer for deployment, if necessary. The generator is rated for 120 V at 20.8 A.”

Make sure you can take down and reinstall antennas quickly and efficiently when there’s a threat of severe storms. VHF antennas mounted on masts and typical HF dipoles can be taken down and put up in minutes.

Also, test all radios and peripherals, especially those you may not use on a routine basis but might want during a severe weather emergency. This might include handheld transceivers (especially for VHF and UHF) and any HF gear than can easily run from emergency power sources

Know the name, call sign, and email address of both your ARRL Section Manager (SM) and Section Emergency Coordinator (SEC). Keep a list of emergency and public safety nets handy.

Some hams establish a “hardened” facility that’s essentially stormproof, with ham gear installed inside. Rick uses a heavy steel shipping container, suitably anchored. (Read “Shipping Containers for Sheltering Stations and Operators at Deployment Sites” in the September 2020 “Public Service” column for more information on using shipping containers for emergency shelter, including container safety.) The typical garden shed would likely not suffice.

In addition, look for local/regional nets before a serious storm strikes, to learn or practice net procedure and get acquainted with all the players you might work with in a disaster: net and emergency managers, Red Cross, Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT), Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES), and Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Services (RACES) communicators. Obtain and learn how to use Winlink HF mail.

“The advantages are clear, and that’s why the Red Cross and others embrace Winlink,” Palm says in the July 2021 “Public Service” column. He went on to say, “There is a learning curve to gaining Winlink proficiency, however. It’s not a system for spontaneous volunteers.” On-air training is available.

The National Weather Service offers information on personal and family hurricane season preparedness.

source:ARRL

Antenna

Review

Equipment

News

The post Family Comes First during Hurricane Preparation for Home and Station appeared first on QRZ NOW - Ham Radio News.

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/2TAxn1S June 16, 2021 at 04:09PM

via RSS Feed https://qrznow.com/family-comes-first-during-hurricane-preparation-for-home-and-station/

Current ham radio news

WA7BNM Contest Calendar - 0000Z-0200Z, Jun 23

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3cHqwtw June 16, 2021 at 09:09PM

via RSS Feed https://www.contestcalendar.com/contestdetails.php?ref=425

Current ham radio news

WA7BNM Contest Calendar - 0230Z-0300Z, Jun 23

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3bIPNmx June 16, 2021 at 09:09PM

via RSS Feed https://www.contestcalendar.com/contestdetails.php?ref=593

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - A very full week of activity except maybe for Friday and Saturday

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3vsKcbX June 17, 2021 at 04:09AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/bands/10metres/2021/june/june-16.htm

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - In June 1914 the Eilvese transmitter, an early long-distance telegraphy station, went into service with the callsign OUI

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3gCmdl7 June 17, 2021 at 04:09AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/june/german-special-event.htm

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - Thought that radio comms were obsolete in the age of the smartphone? Well, next time there's a disaster, you should know who may just end up saving lives

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3vvdRB7 June 17, 2021 at 04:09AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/june/meet-the-bengaluru-radio-man-whose-teaching-thousands-of-students-about-ham-radio.htm

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - In New Jersey, Parsippany's Office of Emergency Management and about 40K in North America will communicate via ham radios in the Field Day Challenge

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3wAPWl4 June 17, 2021 at 04:09AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/june/parsippany-emergency-management-hosting-amateur-radio-event.htm

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - The final results for SP DX Contest 2021 have been published. Congratulations to all involved. See you next year!

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3vAs5Rj June 17, 2021 at 04:09AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/june/sp-dx-contest-2021-final-results-published.htm

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - Members of the URE section Seville Radioamateurs Union (URS) will be active between the 14th and 27th as ED7EFS around the UEFA Euro 2020 Championship from Sevilla

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3cJYnmg June 17, 2021 at 04:09AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/june/spanish-special-event.htm

Current ham radio news

Southgate ARC - Thomas K4SWL is a very active QRP portable enthusiast. He created a website QRPer.com where he shares his adventures

via Current ham radio news https://ift.tt/3iMVV2d June 17, 2021 at 04:09AM

via RSS Feed http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2021/june/why-operate-qrp-portable.htm

RSS Feed

Manage