Re: Vero Beach to institute marine sanitation compliance sweeps

Rick

The sewage plant just off the ICW in Ft Pierce has numerous times dumped large amounts of sewage into the water and daily they dump incredible amounts of exceedingly toxic water from Lake O into the Caloosahatchee River that flows to Stuart and Ft Myers where in the summer the green toxic water kills everything and is unhealthy for humans to be around it yet they want to harass a poor guy in a sailboat!

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 7:36 AM Flying Pig <skipgundlach@...> wrote:
Vero Beach to institute marine sanitation compliance sweeps

The local newspaper TCPalm has served notice as of November 4th, 2019,
that Vero Beach and Indian River County will be the target of
intensive marine sanitation compliance enforcement.

According to Monte Falls, Vero Beach City Manager, as cited in the
article, "The FWC (Fish and Wildlife Commission) has agreed to conduct
quarterly 'sweeps' of the lagoon in the city to make sure boats aren't
illegally dumping sewage, check for derelict vessels and "anything
else that might violate state and local laws," said Falls.

"FWC officers also will train the Vero Beach Police Department's
marine unit to 'get the procedures down' on the enforcement effort as
well, Falls said. 'So after they're trained, there'll be even more
patrols on the lagoon.' "

Vero Beach City Marina manager Sean Collins is more than tired of the
"narrative they are pushing against all of the boaters ... that you
all are pumping your tanks right into the water. I know this is not
the case and have been pushing back against them for months now and
would certainly like to see more boaters speak out against this
narrative"

"After the enforcement patrols take place, I do not want the CWC
(Clean Water Coalition) to have the data stating that X number of
boats were cited for MSD violations. I want to give them X number of
boats were boarded and ZERO boats had MSD violations!"

To that end, Sean has asked me to include (I run the SSCA sponsored
morning cruisers' net) an announcement including that Vero Beach City
Marina provides numbered tags with secure ties for your Y-valves, if
your vessel is so equipped.

Having one in place will aid a speedy departure if you are boarded.
Of course, you will be present during any such boarding; they will not
board unoccupied vessels.  However, a clean sweep of the area will
clear the decks for quite some time.  If you don’t already have one,
stop into the marina office for your free dinghy, bicycle or Y-valve
tags.

If we succeed with a clean sweep, that should silence the critics and
perhaps relieve our boating community from the opprobrium continually
cast at us as we cruise the inland waterways of Florida.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

Rick Steinberg