Topics

WA8LMF "Porta-Site", Mobile SSTV LiveCAM, and 30/60 Meters APRS at Dayton

WA8LMF

The Dayton Hamvention is almost here!  The WA8LMF Special Events UI-Wesbserver is up and running for Dayton.  Go to

<http://WA8LMF.net/map>

and follow the black link for "Special Events Webserver".

I have been asked to exhibit my mobile "Porta-Site" at the Hamvention this year.    This installation will be in the EMCOMM  (Emergency Communications) EXPO of comms vehicles in the parking lot north-west of the main fairground buildings.

The Porta-Site features four radios and a Panasonic Toughbook PC crammed into a VW Jetta TDI. It is capable of operating on three HF bands and/or four VHF/UHF bands simultaneously. I will be demoing live 30 & 60-meters APRS, and live mobile SSTV on both VHF and HF from the Porta-Site on both Friday and Saturday.  (I will be arriving on Thursday.)

The installation includes a telescoping 40-foot mast that supports the center of a ladder-line-fed HF dipole and two VHF/UHF multi-band antennas simultaneously.

The WA8LMF Porta-Site   [If the pics don't show, use the links instead.]

<http://WA8LMF.net/Dayton2019/PortaSite.jpg>

The Dayton Hamvention venue at the Green Country (Xenia, OH) fairgrounds.

<http://WA8LMF.net/Dayton2019/HamventionVenue.jpg>

ADDED ATTRACTION:  If you want to see the ultimate HF transmitters (200KW) and antenna farm,  don't miss the Voice of America museum only about 45 miles (70 Km) south of the Hamvention venue.   Built on the former Bethany, Ohio VOA transmit site (now decommissioned), the museum is having special extended hours during the Hamvention. It will be open until 9 PM, instead of the usual 4 PM Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

More info at:

<http://www.voamuseum.org/>

Almost next door is the transmit site of the legendary WLW-AM. This is the only US standard-broadcast station to ever broadcast with more than 50KW.  In the mid 1930s, it transmitted with 500KW, making it the most powerful AM station to ever transmit in the US.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
   <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
   <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

Fred Hillhouse

If anyone takes pictures of the trailer for other angles, I’d like to see them.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH