Topics

Upgrade kit for VLF/HF and early versions of the Loop Antenna Amplifier

Chris Moulding

We are now ready to dispatch upgrade kits for the VLF/HF and early versions of the Loop Antenna Amplifier.

The kit consists of a transformer, a 1000 uF capacitor and two 82 pF capacitors.

I've uploaded a video to YouTube showing how to fit the components to the PCBs in the head and base units.

Fitting the kit improves the HF performance to that of the HF/VHF version which has been recently demonstrated by several screenshots on the forum to be of equal performance to some very expensive loop antennas. Fitting the kit does restrict the VLF performance to 40 kHz.

To find the new video just scroll down the Loop Antenna Amplifier web page:

http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/loop_antenna_amplifier.htm

If you want one of the upgrade kits free of charge please contact me by email or post a message on the forum. If you have bought an amplifier secondhand from one  of our customers just let me know by email and we will post a kit out to you free of charge.

All new orders shipped in 2020 will be built to the new specification and will not require an upgrade kit. The HF/VHF version doesn't need the upgrade kit.

Paul Newland

Hi Chris
I have watched the video of the mod (mine was an early 2019 version) and whilst the instructions are perfectly clear, I doubt that  my"gorilla hand" and trimming and soldering skills(?) are up to carrying out the modification successfully.
Does the possibility exist that you still intend to offer the modification service in house in the future and whilst the HF performance would be improved,and also, would the LW and MW bands also be improved, or remain unchanged?
Mine is currently "languishing" on an indoor hula-hoop as the HF?VHF version is now all singing and dancing outside (really chuffed with it thanks!).
Best Wishes
Paul

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 13:44, Chris Moulding <chrism@...> wrote:
[...]

Paul Gulliver

Hi Chris,

First, could you add my name for the upgrade kit, thanks.

Second, I'm a confused about the bias tee board, mine is marked V4 but the transformer near the usb socket has 2 windings, one with a yellow wire and the other dark blue (or black) whereas the one in the video seems only to have one winding - unless both windings have the same colour lead.
It's very difficult to tell if the 82pf capacitor needs to be fitted
Photo attached

Paul

On 07/01/2020 at 14:44, Chris Moulding <chrism@...> wrote:
[...]

chipbutty

Excellent. Could you send me the upgrade kit please.

Thanks,

Rob

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 02:44 PM, Chris Moulding wrote:
http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/loop_antenna_amplifier.htm

Will, M0LGW

Hi Chris
Please can you send me an upgrade kit. I have a very early version of the HF loop antenna and I would like to do the upgrade.

Many thanks
Will

Will Grocott

Kevin Alewine

Chris,

Thank you for making these kits available. Please send one to me as I have one of your original designs.

Kevin, W0VP

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 12:10 PM Will Grocott <wjcgrocott@...> wrote:
Hi Chris
Please can you send me an upgrade kit. I have a very early version of the HF loop antenna and I would like to do the upgrade.

Many thanks
Will

Will Grocott

Stevesweb

I'm ready for this upgrade kit. I have the original loop. I've been keeping up with all of the post here.

Thanks to everyone that's been working with Chris to get the upgrade to where it is today.

Email request has been sent for the upgrade.

Thanks again!

Stephen

Stephen Farthing

Chris,

I’d like an upgrade kit. I bought my amplifier just before the new models came out.

Regards,

Steve G0XAR

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 16:16, Paul Gulliver <paulg1953@...> wrote:
[...]

Peter

Chris,

Could you please include me for one of the upgrade kits.

Regards

Peter Newton

Malcolm Hornsby

Hi Chris,

Please can you send me a kit as I've one of your early ones.

Excellent customer service, would anyone else send an upgrade of parts for free, I don't think so :)

Mal.

On 07/01/2020 18:23, Kevin Alewine wrote:
Chris,

Thank you for making these kits available. Please send one to me as I have one of your original designs.

Kevin, W0VP

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 12:10 PM Will Grocott <wjcgrocott@...> wrote:
Hi Chris
Please can you send me an upgrade kit. I have a very early version of the HF loop antenna and I would like to do the upgrade.

Many thanks
Will

Will Grocott

Nicolas Kulaga

Hi Chris.

I see the last upgrades available for the loop amplifier VLH/HF.

I don't have skills to do it by myself.

I already returned mine to you once for a first upgrade.

Will you offer an upgrade service this time ?

If so I hope it will not be too expensive.

Nicolas

Le mer. 8 janv. 2020 à 09:53, Malcolm Hornsby via Groups.Io <m.hornsby=talk21.com@groups.io> a écrit :

Hi Chris,

Please can you send me a kit as I've one of your early ones.

Excellent customer service, would anyone else send an upgrade of parts for free, I don't think so :)

Mal.

On 07/01/2020 18:23, Kevin Alewine wrote:
Chris,

Thank you for making these kits available. Please send one to me as I have one of your original designs.

Kevin, W0VP

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 12:10 PM Will Grocott <wjcgrocott@...> wrote:
Hi Chris
Please can you send me an upgrade kit. I have a very early version of the HF loop antenna and I would like to do the upgrade.

Many thanks
Will

Will Grocott

Chris Moulding

The first batch of Loop Antenna Amplifier upgrade kits has been posted out.

I've received many emails and posts so rather than answering the questions in each one individually it's best if I post the answers on the forum so that the answers are shared.

Thanks for all the kind comments about making the upgrade kit available. I think that it's only fair that everyone who bought one especially those who pre-ordered should have the upgrade to the latest spec.

Answers to questions:

"My base unit has a toroid with two windings"

We made the first batch with the v4 board with a transformer rather than a single winding.There was very little difference in performance and we switched to the single winding coil to simplify production.

"Will the upgrade kit go through a letter box?"

Yes it's a small envelope sent by letter mail so it will fit through a standard letter box.

"That's a big soldering iron in the video"

It's a Metcal SP200 which uses RF induction heating to heat the tip of the soldering iron. The heat is very controllable and there is very little difference to the operator in soldering a tiny SMD part or a large RF connector. It seems somehow right to build RF equipment with RF energy!

"My base unit only has one toroid"

The early single sided boards used a resistor in the driver stage rather than a toroid. The upgrade kit will work on these boards too.

"I've only just received my amplifier . Does it need the kit?"

Yes. Only amplifiers shipped in 2020 are built to the latest spec.

"Would you accept at least some help with the stamp costs, the tea bags and energy used to power the kettle? :) "

Thanks for the kind offer but it's only a few components that we are shipping out via letter post.

Ken Tanch

Hi Chris,
How can I tell if I need the upgrade kit or not ?
I bought mine over the Christmas break and I only just received it a few days ago.
If I need the upgrade kit could you add me to the list?

73
Ken
KC1FFA

Will, M0LGW

Hi Chris
I received my kit in the post today.

Thank you very much; great service
Will

Peter

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 12:42 PM, Will Grocott wrote:
I received my kit in the post today.
Hi Chris,
I have received the upgrade kit in the post today, many thanks for a prompt service.
73's Peter Gm0ezr

Kevin Alewine

I don't know if 'Cross Country Wireless' is Chris's main business or just a sideline, but I wish I could expect the same terrific level of customer service every time I ordered something online. Chris has been honest and upfront about the issues in his early versions of the loop amplifier, and the idea that he would offer to make the upgrade kits available AT NO COST to his early adopters is fantastic.

Thanks again Chris.

Kevin, W0VP

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 6:42 AM Will Grocott <wjcgrocott@...> wrote:

Hi Chris
I received my kit in the post today.

Thank you very much; great service
Will

Chris Moulding

Thanks for the very kind comments, Kevin.

Cross Country Wireless is our main business.

We are always thankful for the feedback we get from customers. Making and testing a prototype in wet and rainy north west England doesn't always prove that it's going to work in other parts of the world.

With the Loop Antenna Amplifier the feedback we received proved that it didn't come up to the performance of other more expensive loops so I researched why that was so and modified the design. To me it seemed only right that we offer to send out upgrade kits free of charge to  our customers especially those who had pre-ordered before production models were ready to ship out.

Brent Mcl

I would like to see how well the upgrade would work could you send a kit ......The new unit is performing at or above my Wellbrook level ..

Jeff Kelly

Please send me an upgrade kit.

Jeff Kelly
K2SDR

John Pfeifer

Chris,

I sent you a direct email last week, but haven’t received a reply, so I thought I’d try here. Can you please send me a VLF/HF loop amplifier upgrade kit? I bought my amplifier on Dec. 2, 2019.

Thanks,
John Pfeifer - WL7M