Topics

UK source for lightweight rotator for CCW Active Loop

Greg_M6ORT

Dear all,

Due to space constraints trying to keep a low profile I am currently using my loop on a fully extended 4m tall speaker/lighting stand with a further 2" diameter piece of mast 2x2 clamped to the stand.  So far so good.  It is getting less entertaining armstrong rotating the loop to null out noise etc. A few years ago I guess the UK would have many rotators out there, now with digital TV, DAB and more FM outlets there doesn't seem to be anything in the UK.  Have I missed anything here?  All I have found online, as I really don't want a Yaesu £300 affair to turn the loop, are the Channelmaster TV products from the US but the dimensions provided are a bit messed up and I'm awaiting clarification if it will take the 2" mast that fits the clamp on my loop.  Is one else using a loop with a non-Yaesu, SPID etc. rotator?  Any details gratefully received.  I have a second hand rotator but that I doing VHF and UHF beam work and I have to keep all that down at roof height most of the time to avoid annoying anyone.
Thanks in advance for any info.
73 de
Greg
M6ORT

david

Hi Greg,

If you want new and cheap, the pickings are a bit slim. I still have an old
Conrad rotator that used to sell at around GBP55, but I see that they are
discontinued. You might still pick up something used, if you look on EBay.
Amazon has this offering: "RCA VH226F Outdoor Antenna Rotator with Remote"
at around GBP150, but it looks like a lot of display technology that you
might not want to pay for.
Other than that, it looks like you will have to read up on servos, and build
your own ;(
Or, use a pipe that will fit your US Channelmaster as the support.

Best Wishes
David, GM8XBZ

[...]
_._,_._,_

Chris Moulding

I've just been searching Google and eBay as I'm interested in rotating the loop antenna on the workshop.

It's possible to buy cheap (£8 to 12 or $11 to $17) 0.6 rpm worm drive geared 12V motors from China that should make a useful rotator.

The best project using them I've spotted so far is the "Mini-Satellite Antenna Rotator" used for antenna azimuth and elevation control for a school satellite project. It uses an Arduino board, a compass accelerometer board and a motor controller board to control the motor. Better still is that you can control it from computer software such a GPredict or Ham Radio Deluxe to beam at the station you are listening to or to follow a satellite across the sky.

The link to the web page is:

http://sarcnet.org/projects/project_rotator.html

Greg_M6ORT

Chris - sent you a direct email on the clamping situation as due to a lack of time a project won't be a starter so I'll have to find a way to make the channelmaster option work I suspect.
Cheers
Greg
M6ORT

Sean - G4UCJ

Hi Greg,
In case no one replied about the channel master, it will accept 50mm poles -
I have a 5ft 50mm flagpole pole on the bottom, then the rotator just above
the standoff support on the fence, then another 50mm 5ft pole on top of the
rotator and a 4ft smaller pole to connect to the loop (a Wellbrook 1530), so
it is about 13-14ft up. The rotator turns it easily and it has stood up to
all the storms we had over the winter (I did brace the loop with a bamboo
cane, for a bit of extra strength as it is quite exposed) - there are some
pics of it on my website (www.hfradio.org.uk). The rotator is one of those
generic channel master/Altai/no name 3 core ones that are often on Ebay for
around £50-80. I do have a CCW active loop too, but that is on top of my
mast and doesn't have a rotator - yet!.

73, Sean - G4UCJ
E-mail: sean@... Web: http://www.hfradio.org.uk
RX: IC-756pro; SDR-IQ; RA1792; R861; DE1103; AirSpy+Spyverter; FCD P+;
Yupiteru MVT-7100
ANT: 21m tri-leg OCFD @ 6m agl; Wellbrook ALA1530 @ 4m agl; CCW Active Loop
@ 2m agl;
ADS-B: FA Protick + BPF; 2 x 5/8 colinear (attic).