To earth/ground the CCW Loop Antenna Amplifier+ #chat

paul newland

Edited

I find it quite embarrassing to ask this basic question, but here goes (with explanation).
I have noted that on the design/schematic for the cardioid loop an earth is used.
My simple question is whether or not my current Loop Antenna Amplifier+ should be earthed.
My first loop antenna that I still own/use is Wellbrook ALA15330LN, which has given sterling service and as I understood from it's original installation instructions should be mounted on a non-conductive mast and that it should not be grounded/earthed.
I had assumed same that same would apply to the CCW  Loop Antenna Amplifier series and have mounted them on  non-conductive masts and not earthed them.
This applies to my current "+"  version, which has been and is giving excellent service.
Regards
Paul

Chris Moulding

Hi Paul,

A simple loop antenna should not be earthed or grounded and using a non-metallic pole will avoid distortion of the antenna pattern.

You are correct with your installation of the Wellbrook and a simple loop antenna with the Loop Antenna Amplifier +.

The cardioid loop was an example of a different type of loop antenna based on an original design of C and S Antennas back in 1974. This adds a resistor at the top of the loop and grounds one side of the loop to give a cardioid pattern with low angle properties. Another advantage of the cardioid loop is that the antenna element is earthed or grounded so it will help with lightning protection on exposed sites.

By the way it's good to hear that the Loop Antenna Amplifier + is working well for you.

Paul Newland

Thanks Chris
Working well is quite an understatement,
But the cardioid design seems pretty attractive and a tempting way to go...
Best Wishes
Paul