Topics

SDR4+ Mirrored display

Ian Bontoft

Evening all
Sure that this must have been covered before but can't find it.
I use a SDR-4+ as a panadaptor on a TS5980sg - or at least I did until Windows 10 decided to update today.
After the update the display became 'mirrored'.
Having had problems with sound card settings after an update before I played around with these but could not resolve it.
Tried rolling back to the previous version of windows but still the same.
Device manager says that all is OK with USB ports etc and I think that the leads are OK.
Would someone mind checking my settings as per attached to see if I am doing anything silly?
Many Thanks
Ian
G4ELW

Chris Moulding

Hi Ian,

Everything looks OK with the settings.

I'd try changing the soundcard settings in the Microphone Properties and change them back just to check that any changes are being reported correctly.

Updates in Windows 10 have caused a few problems for sound cards recently. Just checking a HDSDR session on Windows 10 I have running remotely in the workshop reveals that the soundcard had changed to 44.1 kHz with the recent update.

Something subtle has changed in the recent Windows 10 update...

Ian Bontoft

Thanks Chris
No luck with that unfortunately.
Having played around I decided to do an re-install but now can't get the software working.
Whenever I try to point the software at the drivers folder it tells me that the best driver is already installed
Could you point me in the right direction here?
Regards
Ian

Chris Moulding

The libusb-Win32 driver is used by many USB devices. It looks like Windows 10 has identified it as being used with another USB device.

This driver is used by the SDR-4 receiver to send frequency control information to the receiver.

The full details of the firmware used in the SDR-4 receiver is shown on this web page:

https://pe0fko.nl/SR-V9-Si570/

About half way down the web page the section "Install the PC driver software automatic" gives a link to a small program that installs the DG8SAQ-I2C driver.

The USB sound card in the receiver is a Texas Instruments IC that appears as a standard USB audio codec that is automatically recognised by every operating system although Windows 10 identifies it as a default mono microphone.

Ian Bontoft

Thanks Chris
That got a little further.
The installer that you mentioned installed the driver to a separate directory on the C drive
All seems well in device manager but it would appear that I still have an issue with Si570
Any thoughts on that one?
Many Thanks
ian

On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 8:20 PM Chris Moulding <chrism@...> wrote:
The libusb-Win32 driver is used by many USB devices. It looks like Windows 10 has identified it as being used with another USB device.

This driver is used by the SDR-4 receiver to send frequency control information to the receiver.

The full details of the firmware used in the SDR-4 receiver is shown on this web page:

https://pe0fko.nl/SR-V9-Si570/

About half way down the web page the section "Install the PC driver software automatic" gives a link to a small program that installs the DG8SAQ-I2C driver.

The USB sound card in the receiver is a Texas Instruments IC that appears as a standard USB audio codec that is automatically recognised by every operating system although Windows 10 identifies it as a default mono microphone.

Ian Bontoft

Just a quick update, HDSDR running but still mirrored.
CFGSR is open until I run HDSDR and then it disconnects
When HDSDR is closed then CFGSDR shows as connected again
If that helps......

Chris Moulding

That's normal procedure with HDSDR and CFGSR.

You are back to the original problem. It appears that your computer is seeing the USB sound card in the SDR-4 as a mono card even though the advanced sound card settings show that it isn't.

It's very unlikely that the receiver developed a fault at the exact same time that you updated the operating system but for the sake of completeness it's worth checking the IQ output from the receiver.

if you have a set of headphones with a 3.5mm plug try connecting them to the IQ port (that's the 3.5mm socket nearest the BNC plug).

If the IQ output is faulty you will only hear one channel or both channels will be identical and sound flat as a mono output does.

If the IQ output is correct you should hear the 90 degree phase shift between the channels give a unique hard to describe sound effect on the signal. It's best heard if you tune to a strong signal near the centre of the display.

Ian Bontoft

Thanks Chris
I need to 'park it' for a few days due to work pressure (sure you know the feeling) but will try that and let you know the outcome.
I am very much aware that I got technical help on a 5 year old discontinued product over a bank holiday weekend.
It does not get much better than that!
Thank you very much for your assistance
Regards
Ian