Topics

Saying hi.

Patrick J.M. Keane

Just saying hello, as a new member of the group.  Put together the ccw loop on a bicycle rim this evening.

Happy to share my experience, but I consider myself a radio and antenna amateur, at best. Always learning...

Patrick

chipbutty

Hi - I have one on the way. I'm also a bit of an amateur when it comes to antennas. I'm a MW/LW/SW listener and use a wire or a Degen active antenna. I also have a Tecsun AN200 passive loop for MW. How are you getting on with your CCW loop? I haven't seen much feedback on this forum about how it's performing for people. Can't wait to get mine.

Patrick J.M. Keane

It seems to work very well for me.  I have it in a fixed position.  Right now 1020 KDKA is overwhelming. I may play with position to see if I can neutralize it.

I am curious what the gap width is?  I have it separated with 1" pvc Tee.

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019, 12:13 PM chipbutty via Groups.Io <stellablade72=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi - I have one on the way. I'm also a bit of an amateur when it comes to antennas. I'm a MW/LW/SW listener and use a wire or a Degen active antenna. I also have a Tecsun AN200 passive loop for MW. How are you getting on with your CCW loop? I haven't seen much feedback on this forum about how it's performing for people. Can't wait to get mine.

Chris Moulding

Edited

Patrick,

If you are using a bicycle wheel rim the spacing doesn't need to be very much. On the one shown in the video the gap is only the width of the saw cut. I made a fibre glass spacer to keep the wheel rim in it's original shape.

I'm planning to make another video this week showing how to make a loop out of a bicycle wheel rim. That should explain it better than a text description.

Regarding your strong local station try nulling it out with the loop. You should be able to get a very sharp null up to 40 dB down.

Patrick J.M. Keane

Got it.  Yes, the current setup is bicycle wheel.  Will try a smaller gap.  Also I purchased a rotator so I can play with the direction as it gets colder, without stepping outside.

Once I am happy with its ground performance will try a higher mount.

By the way, using 75ohm coax connection, I assume that's reasonable.

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019, 1:57 PM Chris Moulding <chrism@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Patrick,

If you are using a bicycle wheel rim the spacing doesn't need to be very much. On the one shown in the video the gap is only the width of the saw cut. I made a fibre glass spacer to keep the wheel rim in it's original shape.

I'm planning to make another video this week showing how to make a loop out of a bicycle wheel rim. That should explain it better than a text description.

Regarding your strong local station try nulling it out with the loop. You should be able to get a very sharp null up to 40 dB down.

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Hello Patrick,

I’m hoping you are in the UK as I’m looking for an inexpensive rotator and I was wondering which model you bought and from where.

There used to be loads of them in the UK but they all seem to have disappeared. Even the cheapest Yaesu is both very expensive and overkill for a simple loop.

Tom G6PZZ

[...]

What does gap width mean?

Also for those of us who have no experience and knowledge of loops does the kit come with instructions? I am completely clueless on how you set them up.

Some seem to have the loop encased in PVC tubing, others in copper tubes or what looks like aluminium. Many have just a bare wire loop like the MLA-30. What are the relative merits of these different materials? I've  tried researching but have found little information for beginners.

Thanks

Paul Sayer

I can't find a low cost rotator either. A recent RadCom has a DIY project. And I saw somewhere one made from a wiper motor.

Regards

Paul G0VKT

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019, 20:28 Tom Crosbie G6PZZ, <tom@...> wrote:

[...]

The Loop Antenna Amplifier is designed to be used with a small metal loop up to 1m diameter.

It is supplied with a 3m length of wire which can be used as a triangle with 1m sides or wrapped around a plastic hula-hoop.

Some users have converted a bicycle wheel rim into a loop. To do this you have to cut the wheel rim with a hacksaw so that you can add wires to connect to the amplifier.

The gap width in the forum posts refers to the gap in the wheel rim after a saw cut is made.

A bicycle wheel rim makes a strong efficient loop.

For the very best results you have to reduce the inductance of the loop. This is done by using a thicker material such as a bicycle wheel rim, aluminium tube, copper pipe or heavy coax cable. It has to be non-magnetic not steel or iron as magnetic materials will drastically increase the inductance of the loop.

The improvement in performance is quite significant. Comparing my 1m coax cable loop (which is effectively 1/2 inch copper pipe) to the wire loop signal levels are 10 to 15 dB higher with the coax loop. In both cases at home or in the workshop I'm limited by external noise so it doesn't affect my radio reception.

If I was in a very quiet location say on a beach miles from electrical equipment then a thick loop like the coax loop would allow me to hear galactic noise on HF.

Look for TV antenna rotator: used to be common from USA/Japan

David G3UNA

[...]

WA8LMF

On 12/2/2019 6:28 AM, Chris Moulding wrote:
Some users have converted a bicycle wheel rim into a loop. To do this you have to cut the wheel rim with a hacksaw so that you can add wires to connect to the amplifier.

The gap width in the forum posts refers to the gap in the wheel rim after a saw cut is made.

A bicycle wheel rim makes a strong efficient loop.

For the very best results you have to reduce the inductance of the loop. This is done by using a thicker material such as a bicycle wheel rim, aluminium tube, copper pipe or heavy coax cable. It has to be non-magnetic not steel or iron as magnetic materials will drastically increase the inductance of the loop.

Isn't the bicycle wheel steel?   Or are your bike wheels some exotic non-ferrous alloy?

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
   <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
   <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

Oene Spoelstra

That's old fasion a wheel of steel . We use aluminium.

Op ma 2 dec. 2019 14:52 schreef WA8LMF via Groups.Io <wa8lmf=aol.com@groups.io>:

[...]

Paul Gulliver

No, not steel, alloy.

worked Ok, but not as good as my 1 metre dia loop from 8mm dia copper tube

Paul

Isn't the bicycle wheel steel?   Or are your bike wheels some exotic non-ferrous alloy?

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

chipbutty

Thanks Chris. So if using a bicycle wheel I'm not actually wrapping the supplied 3m coax around the wheel as a support? You're using the wheel itself as the loop?

If the bicycle wheel loop is directly connected to the amp how do you secure the two wires to the rim which run to the amp?

You mention your 1m coax cable loop and a wire loop. What is the difference between the two. How do they compare to the bicycle wheel loop?

Apologies for the noob questions bit this is all completely new to me.

Cheers

Rob

Chris Moulding

I used the alloy bicycle rim as the loop element.

On the bicycle wheel rim I've adapted I cut across the large hole for the tyre valve then fitted nuts and bolts in the sprocket holes either side of the saw cut.

I also fitted a piece of fibre glass board between the two bolts to keep the gap constant and stiffen the wheel after the saw cut.

I ran two short wires to the Loop Antenna Amplifier

I'll make a video later this week, watching it will explain it more clearly than I describe in text. This really is a situation where a picture is worth a 1000 words!

The rim I used is 622mm in diameter so the performance is slightly down on the 1m diameter coax loop.

No problems about the questions. It's an interesting area of radio to experiment in and you can learn a lot quickly.

Paul Newland

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 at 09:50, Paul Sayer <paulsayer123@...> wrote:
[...]

Cheers Chris. A video will be much appreciated.

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Thanks Paul,

It’s in my Wishlist!

Tom G6PZZ

[...]

This is the exact one I bought, although on eBay.  I understand that most of these get poor reviews, but there are limited options.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019, 2:07 PM Tom Crosbie G6PZZ <tom@...> wrote:

Thanks Paul,

It’s in my Wishlist!

Tom G6PZZ

[...]

g13flat@gmail.com

Or, Patrick, there's a gap in the market to be exploited. ;)

Sent from my ASUS