From: Russell Blair <nc5opsk@...>
To: "CrossCountryWireless@groups.io" <CrossCountryWireless@groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 3:23 PM
Subject: [CrossCountryWireless] Saturday 60M beaconing

I have been on 60M channel 5 for the past few hours and have seen no
station on my radio. We may find that 60m is going to act like 40m
during the day. I will stay hear for the rest of the day. Manually
beaconing  on and off during the day.

Russell NC5O-66 and NC5O-6

__________________________________
Sent from eM Client | www.emclient.com <http://www.emclient.com/get>

WA8LMF

On 4/21/2018 4:18 PM, KP3FT via Groups.Io wrote:
Same here.  Well, since 12 noon EDT.  Beaconing periodically, once every 10 minutes or so.  Nothing seen here, including no partial decodes.

We have managed to choose a really lousy weekend for this test!   If you look at the Solar Activity displays on the APRS webserver gateway page of my website at

    <http://WA8LMF.net/map>     (Scroll down below the buttons for the various webservers)

you will see that we are currently experiencing a good sized solar storm that knocks out or severely degrades HF activity.

  • The upper NOAA graph shows a big spike over the past 12 hours or so.

  • The lower black N0NBH panel shows an "A" index of 47 .   Normally, the lower this number is the better.  The grey-text column at the right shows this A-index  corresponds to  a "minor storm".

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
   <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
   <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

WA8LMF

On 4/21/2018 5:32 PM, WA8LMF via Groups.Io wrote:
On 4/21/2018 4:18 PM, KP3FT via Groups.Io wrote:
Same here.  Well, since 12 noon EDT.  Beaconing periodically, once every 10 minutes or so.  Nothing seen here, including no partial decodes.

We have managed to choose a really lousy weekend for this test!   If you look at the Solar Activity displays on the APRS webserver gateway page of my website at

    <http://WA8LMF.net/map>     (Scroll down below the buttons for the various webservers)

you will see that we are currently experiencing a good sized solar storm that knocks out or severely degrades HF activity.

  • The upper NOAA graph shows a big spike over the past 12 hours or so.

  • The lower black N0NBH panel shows an "A" index of 47 .   Normally, the lower this number is the better.  The grey-text column at the right shows this A-index  corresponds to  a "minor storm".

I forgot to mention that these disturbances are much more pronounced in the daytime when our side of the earth is facing the sun, getting blasted by solar radiation and charged particle streams.  Normally, the band will mostly recover when we are facing away from the sun; i.e. at night.  I would expect that things will be much more normal after about 21:00 hours EDT (after sunset).

KP3FT

On 60m tonight decoded and mapped WA8LMF-6 and -66, and partial decode of N0KQX-63.  Switching to 40m packet now for the night, been neglecting that too long :)

WA8LMF

On 4/21/2018 10:40 PM, KP3FT via Groups.Io wrote:
On 60m tonight decoded and mapped WA8LMF-6 and -66, and partial decode of N0KQX-63.  Switching to 40m packet now for the night, been neglecting that too long :)

Looking at the records for my own beacons on findu.com, I see that you igated me repeatedly this late afternoon and evening.