Topics

RJ45 feed line coupler

Mark Parker <mwtp2@...>

Edited

Hi Chris,

Taking advantage of the good weather and in the process of mounting the CCW active loop on a rotator at the top of my garden, problem is the feed line is going to be
excess of 30 to 40 meters. Would it be possible to use a good quality female to female RG45 LAN coupler and use a few cable runs. Just a bit concerned
if it alters the impedance of the twisted pairs etc.

73`s
Mark

Chris Moulding

You need to check that the RJ45 coupler is a straight through one i.e. pin 1 goes to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2 etc.

At HF or low VHF you should have no problem with any impedance mismatch.

It it's mounted outdoors waterproof the coupler and cable ends to avoid any water ingress and add some strain release to avoid any physical strain on the cable pulling the cables out of the coupler. I would make a loop in the cable so that the coupler is inside the loop then cable tie the cables together so that no movement in the cable reaches the coupler.

Mark Parker <mwtp2@...>

Many thanks for prompt reply Chris` I think there maybe enough cable length to make the connection in the attic space, but your suggestion about making a loop and cable tie is good practice anyway.. I am unsure about the pin layout of the coupler but will ask the supplier. Here is the one I had in mind from amazon..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016B13U9Y/?coliid=I1N5CWNW17YLDY&colid=24XQZ8XSRV7QW&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Cheers
Mark

Chris Moulding

It doesn't say in the Amazon post if is is a straight one to one connection. It's important to check because our active antennas use two of the twisted pairs in the cable for 12 V power feed. There is reverse polarity protection in the base unit but not in the head unit.

I've found this RJ45 coupler that is a straight through connection on eBay: https://ebay.us/8rjuEB

I've not tried it but I'll buy one to check as it's a question I'm often asked.

Regards,

Chris.