Ready for Stage 2

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Looking for some tips guys!

Having built my first loop, I’m ready to “upgrade”. I gather that the more metal in the loop, the better?

The first loop used the wire supplied with the LAA+ in an inverse delta shape.

I have two current choices of conductor for the MkII. What would be the best choice?

2.5mm2 PVC covered stranded earth wire, or UR43M Coax

I could form these into an inverse delta as before. My other choice is forming a loop from 1” hosepipe and feeding as many lengths of cable into the pipe as I can.

I might get 3 or 4  pieces of earth wire into the hose and maybe 2 of coax. Three coax might be too tight but I could try.

All conductors will be crimped and soldered to 6mm ring terminals.  The loop will be formed by mounting the hose to a wooden cross using spring clips.

I’m a little worried this might end up more square than round but with more effort it could become octagonal, but at the risk of becoming heavier. I could always forget the hose!

I know some of you are screaming “COPPER TUBE”!!! That can’t happen for a number of reasons.

73

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Nr Chesterfield, Derbyshire UK

Lat: 53.167194 Lon:  -1.399204  Maidenhead Locator IO93HE

RX: Lowe HF250, RSPdx, CCW Sentinel 4, Roberts RM50, Radiomobile TR2, Sony CDX-DAB500U Sangean 808

Ant: 15m MLB wire, MTA Vertical, D707 Active,

Simon

Ok

lets assume you are going secret antenna.hense hose pipe..

i forget the name, but its same dia as hose pipe.plastic tubing with ali inner..plumbers stuff..

that would work well..someone will say its name..peta??

simon

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Simon,

It’s 17 year Old Hozelock, yellow. It’s been sitting out for about three years whereas I always emptied it, before putting it back in the shed in it’s designated spot.

The Hose is simply to act as a former, hopefully in a circle of sorts. I might just forget it and go for an octagon.

Just thinking about the weight. Its indoors as well, remember. Its going to look chuffing silly with guy ropes holding it vertical 😊

How’s your Mum in Law? You’ll never guess what Mrs C has gone and done…

Admitted to hospital last Tuesday with really sever pains in her chest. A negative COVID test on entry. Diagnosed with a large blood clot in left lung. IV antibiotics, blood thinner injections daily, morphine, codeine and paracetamol for a week. This Tuesday she tested positive for COVID. Wednesday our GP rings to ask if she could have her first vaccine on Thursday. You couldn’t make it up…

At least she’s home now…still seething and I’m keeping my head down!

Oene Spoelstra <spoelstraoene@...>

Op za 6 feb. 2021 03:18 schreef Simon <ohhellnotagain@...>:

Ok

lets assume you are going secret antenna.hense hose pipe..

i forget the name, but its same dia as hose pipe.plastic tubing with ali inner..plumbers stuff..

that would work well..someone will say its name..peta??

simon

Oene Spoelstra <spoelstraoene@...>

Unicor

Op za 6 feb. 2021 03:18 schreef Simon <ohhellnotagain@...>:

Ok

lets assume you are going secret antenna.hense hose pipe..

i forget the name, but its same dia as hose pipe.plastic tubing with ali inner..plumbers stuff..

that would work well..someone will say its name..peta??

simon

Facility 406

"that would work well..someone will say its name..peta??"

PEX.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plumber-s-Choice-3-4-in-x-100-ft-PEX-Tubing-Potable-Water-Pipe-Combo-1-Red-1-Blue-PPWRB34100/303337387

Excellent material, but, NOT for unsterilized water, as mold grows wildly in it.

VERY rugged, I use it to pass 12AWG power cable through vehicles.

Kurt

leslie norton

The material is called pex-al-pex its commonly used for under floor heating systems, ive used it and it works well, easily formed to whatever size you want.
Its got a thin aluminium lining, its a bit tricky to get a good joining for the coax but there is a link below to show you how one person joined it.
I have also used it with RG213 threaded inside it as a former and that works well too.

Look at Big fat loop down the page.
I bought mine as a coil from a local DIY plumbers, very cheap.

Les

On 6 Feb 2021, at 08:10, Facility 406 <facility_406@...> wrote:

"that would work well..someone will say its name..peta??"

PEX.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plumber-s-Choice-3-4-in-x-100-ft-PEX-Tubing-Potable-Water-Pipe-Combo-1-Red-1-Blue-PPWRB34100/303337387

Excellent material, but, NOT for unsterilized water, as mold grows wildly in it.

VERY rugged, I use it to pass 12AWG power cable through vehicles.

Kurt

Paul Sayer

I was lucky and got hold of free 25m roll of the stuff. Great for a loop. Very light and self supporting.

Paul G0VKT

On Sat, 6 Feb 2021, 09:12 leslie norton, <gm4jnw@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. I get the properties of Pex, but for a number of reasons, I don’t want to introduce new materials at this time.

I’ve got to build this with materials I have to hand. This is a Scrapheap Antenna Challenge.

My main query was about what wire would give me the best upgrade in signal pickup

  • 2.5mm2  stranded earth wire.
  • UR43M Coax (like RG58) 5mm OD.

The hose was just to be a former to hold multiple cores together but that’s probably going to be too heavy for my support. I guess that’s going to need work!

Tom G6PZZ

[...]

Kev Haworth

Tom..

Try a search for 8mm Kunifer pipe, it's Cupro Nickel, self supporting and works well,

Kev

Simon

Use the coax..join inner and outer together..