New product...HF Antenna Isolator

chrism@...

The first of two new products this week.

We've just released a HF Antenna Isolator.

From the web page:

It acts as a galvanic isolation transformer isolating the mains earth or ground at the station from the antenna or tower earth or ground. This is necessary in areas where PME (protective multiple earthing) is used. Isolating the antenna earth or ground from the incoming mains supply is recommended for electrical safety in case the incoming mains earth or ground has a fault and any mains electricity fault current tries to flow along the co-axial cable to the antenna earth or ground. As the co-ax cable is not designed to handle the high fault current there is a risk of electric shock or fire in this situation.

The HF Antenna Isolator also protects the station equipment from static electricity charges on the antenna.

The web page is:

http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/hf_antenna_isolator.htm

"Stephen H. Smith" <wa8lmf@...>

On 4/4/2016 2:56 PM, chrism@... [cross_country_wireless] wrote:

The first of two new products this week.

We've just released a HF Antenna Isolator.

From the web page:

The web page is:

http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/hf_antenna_isolator.htm

Is this basically a 1:1 broadband RF transformer with high-voltage insulation on the windings?

Will it work to stop common-mode RF currents coming down the coax?

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

 _______ Windows 10 Outrages! _______

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF

Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY

Hi,

How do you connect it to an antenna that has a 9:1 balun or to a Windom? Both these have a coaxial output to the radio? Do you put the isolator next to the balun?
I.e. do you connect the 2 butterfly connectors to the SO-239 of the balun of the antennas with a patch cable having a PL-259 on one end and strip the coaxial cable so that it is connected to the Galvanic isolator?

73 and Happy New Year
de Demetre M0SUY/SV1UY

Andy.g4vcn@...

Hi Chris,  I have a limited space for a vertical with radials.
I have seen a YouTube video of a chap using your HF antenna Isolator (I think) to feed a Ground Loop Radial replacement system.
Said chap mentions that theres an article in Radcom on the subject but sadly I don't have it.... Do you have a PDF you could make available?
Many thanks in anticipation Andy..

Chris Moulding

Hi Andy,

The link to a PDF of the article is:

www.crosscountrywireless.net/202010%20loop%20counterpoises.pdf

Hi

What vertical you thinking of putting up?
For what bands I wonder?

Simon g0zen

Andy.g4vcn@...

Hi Simon, Well just to test the loop counterpoise out I was going to try 40m,  My garden is too small for a proper radial system but a loop counterpoise would be easily achievable.
Cheers A

Andy.g4vcn@...

Sorry, a quarter wave vertical :o)

Andy.g4vcn@...

Thanks Chris

Simon

That should tx well..you may well need a different rx antenna depending upon location and noise..Dont forget if using a fibreglass pole one can make it multiband..( 10-40m) very easily.

Ie a Chris made loop preamp etc..

Sure you have that in hand though..