Topics

My newest CCW Loop

Brent Mcl

Edited

Well it appears the CCW is out performing my Wellbrock  Loop
CCW is the one on the left

Paul Gulliver

Looks good, which version of the amplifier are you using the LF/HF or HF/VHF or the latest modified under service bulletin 4

Paul

Chris Moulding

Thanks for posting that, Brent. Good to see that it's working well for you.

Just a few questions to confirm the comparison...

What size loop are you using on the HF/VHF Loop Antenna Amplifier?

Is the loop at the same height and pointing in the same direction as the Wellbrook loop?

Which model of Wellbrook loop are you using?

Brent Mcl

Wellbrock is model ala 1530LN
And bot loop are same height and looking same way ...

Brent Mcl

HF/VHF

Stevesweb

If you don't mind, what are you using for the loop on the CCW Loop? Also what is the diameter?

Brent Mcl

1/2 soft copper  About a meter dia

Brent Mcl

No pic but on 80 meters tonight can't tell the loops apart

Kevin Alewine

Chris,
What is the difference - if any - between the loop amplifier that Brent is using and the version I purchased (the very first batch manufactured), and what modifications are available to bring my 1st generation loop amp up to date?

Sucks sometimes being an early adopter ;)

Kevin, W0VP

Chris Moulding

Kevin,

Brent has the later HF/VHF version of the Loop Antenna Amplifier.

This week I've been doing a lot of work testing changes to the VLF/HF version that you have and next week I'll release an upgrade kit with all the parts to give the VLF/HF version the same HF performance that Brent is seeing. The modifications work for all the early versions of the amplifier so the early adopters who helped me at the start will be included!

On Sunday I'm planning to make a video showing how to make the modifications to the head unit and base unit boards.

Paul Newland

Chris et al.
FWIW - My newly received HF/VHF head unit now in use here and giving generally outstanding results, very similar to Brent's on 40M and 80M.
It also spectacularly outperformed the Wellbrook on 160M on this occasion, but proved inferior on 20M.
It was also better on 5 and 6 Mhz frequencies.
Very early days for this at the moment of course, but a very promising start.
The antenna in use is a 1M, 15mm copper water pipe square, mounted at about 1.5M AGL and for comparison purposes orientated identically to my ALA1530LN, which is at approximately the same height and closely co-located.
The Wellbrook is attached to the HiZ port of a SDRplay RSPduo and the CCW loop to it's Bias T 50 ohm port.
Best Wishes
Paul

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 at 21:33, Chris Moulding <chrism@...> wrote:
Kevin,

Brent has the later HF/VHF version of the Loop Antenna Amplifier.

This week I've been doing a lot of work testing changes to the VLF/HF version that you have and next week I'll release an upgrade kit with all the parts to give the VLF/HF version the same HF performance that Brent is seeing. The modifications work for all the early versions of the amplifier so the early adopters who helped me at the start will be included!

On Sunday I'm planning to make a video showing how to make the modifications to the head unit and base unit boards.

Brent Mcl

ccw left

Brent Mcl

CCW on the airspy 20 meters looks same as wellbrock on 20 meters

Paul Newland

Hi Brent
Really "chuffed" with results using my newly acquired HF/VHF head unit - first impressions (VLF/HF AMP temporarily-retired to indoor loop).
My location is SW UK; may I ask where you are - country or approximately whereabouts?
Best Wishes
Paul

On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 at 21:01, Brent Mcl <blauchlin@...> wrote:
CCW on the airspy 20 meters looks same as wellbrock on 20 meters

Paul Newland

Just for interest, here's some of the maritime band and 80M using the HF/VHF AMP right now
Best Wishes
Paul

On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 05:15, paul newland <newland.newland@...> wrote:
Hi Brent
Really "chuffed" with results using my newly acquired HF/VHF head unit - first impressions (VLF/HF AMP temporarily-retired to indoor loop).
My location is SW UK; may I ask where you are - country or approximately whereabouts?
Best Wishes
Paul

On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 at 21:01, Brent Mcl <blauchlin@...> wrote:
CCW on the airspy 20 meters looks same as wellbrock on 20 meters

Paul Gulliver

Hi Brent,

Just looking at the screen shots, on the 7MHz comparison there seems to be a lot more background noise on the ccw amp compared to the Wellbrook, (S6 compared to S2 on the Wellbrook) was this interference or was the ccw amp producing more noise?

With the 14MHz test is difficult to make a comparison as you are using 2 different pieces of software so I'm not sure if the noise level is the same or not.

Cheers,

Paul

On 05/01/2020 at 06:23, Paul Newland <newland.newland@...> wrote:
Just for interest, here's some of the maritime band and 80M using the HF/VHF AMP right now
Best Wishes
Paul

On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 05:15, paul newland <newland.newland@...> wrote:
Hi Brent
Really "chuffed" with results using my newly acquired HF/VHF head unit - first impressions (VLF/HF AMP temporarily-retired to indoor loop).
My location is SW UK; may I ask where you are - country or approximately whereabouts?
Best Wishes
Paul

On Sat, 4 Jan 2020 at 21:01, Brent Mcl <blauchlin@...> wrote:
CCW on the airspy 20 meters looks same as wellbrock on 20 meters

David Cutter

Hi Brent

These look very instructive.  Can you arrange for them both to have the same left hand scale, best would be dBm?

73 and Happy New Year

David G3UNA