Topics

More Stations On 30M APRS At One Time Than I've Seen In Years!

WA8LMF

Now that solar activity is finally declining and quieting down, 30 Meters is really taking off!  (While the higher DX bands are getting worse, 30 is getting better!)

Driving home from my sister's farm in Kalamazoo, MI I copied more stations at one time on 30 meters from my mobile than I've seen in years.  This was copied at about 1400 Hrs (Local - US EDT) on 05 May 1 from my mobile FT-891 and HamStick antenna on Interstate-94 just east of Battle Creek, MI.  Note the number of APRS Messenger stations; i.e. SSIDs of -63 and -16 .
UIview Map
        Capture - All US 30 meters APRS

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
   <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
   <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

K4KDR

Great looking map!

Speaking of 30m, I noticed a lot of FT8 activity on the band tonight and after watching it for a minute was happily surprised to see several EU stations in addition to an impressive number of US & Canadian stations.

So yes, this band is fascinating and I'm really glad that APRS Messenger introduced me to it.

73!

-Scott,  K4KDR

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 1:48 AM, WA8LMF via Groups.Io <wa8lmf@...> wrote:
[...]

Eric D. Brown / N0EDB

NIce!

I've been trying to keep APRS Messenger running most days and Those line up nicely with the stations I've been seeing regularly (almost daily) over the last few days.

Eric, N0EDB