Loop amplifier+ running warm.

dave52thomas@...

Edited

I have been testing out my new new loop amplifier+ and I have noticed that the board runs quite hot when powered from my 12v bias-t supply. Presumably,  in order to obtain an improved dynamic range, the semi-conductor device has to draw quite a bit of current.
Is the amplifier quite happy to run at a high temperature for extended periods?

Chris Moulding

The amplifier device is running at half it's maximum rating when powered from a 12 V supply.

The series resistor generates more heat than the amplifier device but again it's running at half it's maximum rating.

I know that we have customers using them in some of the hotter parts of the world without any problems as far as I know.

As we sell our products internationally we never know where they end up so have to design them with temperature extremes in mind.