loop

gmillns43@btinternet.com

Hi.
Does anybody know where in the Manchester area I can get an aluminium or copper tube rolled properly into a loop ?
Thanks.
Gordon.

Simon

Y??

Go buy from ebay air con copper tube..3m length..cheap..comes in a roll..maluable.

Simon

On 23 Jun 2020, at 19:45, gmillns43 via groups.io <gmillns43@...> wrote:

Hi.
Does anybody know where in the Manchester area I can get an aluminium or copper tube rolled properly into a loop ?
Thanks.
Gordon.

Stephen Farthing

Gordon,

If you fancy a go at bending it yourself it’s quite simple. You need some sort of former. I used a circular patio table, one meter in diameter.  I bought a 3 meter coil of copper heating tubing from B&Q, blocked one end of it with blue tack, filled it with sand( which stops the tube from crushing) then ben it round the edge of the table. It’s a two person job really but you can get away with one person and some long cable ties to hold it in place. The tube bends quite easily when new as it’s soft.

Hope this helps,

Steve G0XAR

On 23 Jun 2020, at 19:45, gmillns43 via groups.io <gmillns43=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi.
Does anybody know where in the Manchester area I can get an aluminium or copper tube rolled properly into a loop ?
Thanks.
Gordon.

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Good advice Steve, I had been wondering how to get a large diameter bend without kinking the tube. I presume then you would empty the sand out to save weight. Then hammer the ends flat, bend and drill to accommodate the M6 studs on the CCW Preamp.

So that’s going to need 3.14m of tube. I would suggest a longer length and perhaps use the surplus to make some smaller loops to experiment with. Depends on what diameter tube you end up using and how keen you are to play!

Tom | G6PZZ

Nr Chesterfield | Derbyshire |UK | IO93he

HF250 | Sentinel 4 |RSPdx | RM50 | TR2 | ATS 808

15m MLB | MTA | D707

tom@...

[...]

Tom,

Take the sand out. If you don’t have any a piece of garden hose inside the tube will do. Professionals use bending springs or a bending tool, which has a couple of wheels, one slightly bigger than the other.

You can flatten the ends as you say and put a bolt through. Personally  I’d solder the connections with a solder gun. The aim is to get a connection which has the lowest possible resistance. Also it needs to be weatherproof and strong. I’d also paint the loop. Birds like to perch on them which can get messy, especially if they have been eating blackcurrents.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the exact diameter. Approximately one meter will do for most things. Don’t forget pipe clips and a support pole. I use wood, others like plastic.

A couple of other points. You might want to make two loops and mount them at 90 degrees to each other. I’ve another loop amplifier which allows switching between the two.  I’m not sure what would happen connecting 2 loops to the CCW one. Loops are directional so having 2 is a bonus. Another thing worth trying for the shorter waves is to try a horizontal loop for SkyWave propagation.

Anyway, good luck and I’m glad to have been of some assistance.

73 Steve G0XAR

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 at 22:35, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ <tom@...> wrote:

[...]

chipbutty

I got mine from this seller. I'm sure there are many more. Very easy to roll your own. The hard part was drilling a hole in each end.

Paul Sayer

Pex-Al-Pex pipe. 16 or 20mm diameter. About £20 for 25m online or try a plumbers merchant. Light and easy to form. Picture attached of two of mine. I was lucky and mine was free.

Or try an aluminium bicycle wheel as per the video on the website.

Hope that helps.

Paul G0VKT