Topics

HF APRS mobile Freetrak APRS MFSK16

John K0CQW

I have been running NØQBH Freetrak APRS MFSK16 Trackers & Texter for HF .
http://www.ringolake.com/pic_proj/MFSK16/mfsk_main.html

Have been using Mikes tracker mobile with a Icom 706MK11 and a loading coil for 30m. I started out 2 years ago with the radio at max power about 95 watts have been testing by lowering the output, I am now down to 3 watts (The lowest it will go) and still see raw packets at 100% to 80% copy!

Chris your last update Cross Country Wireless APRS Messenger program is working out well.

Thanks to all that are hearing me mobile!

 de John KØCQW-16

Mike Berg

John's Cinco de mayo road trip with near QRP MFSK-16 APRS tracking.

Steve Bunting M0BPQ

Ive looked at building one of the FreeTrack modules a few times, but have been put off by two things.

1) I dont have a way to programme the pic, but see that the ebay programmers can be cheap. Has anyone used one of these? Thoughts? Is there another source of programmed chips?
2) OSH Park have an MOQ for the PCBs. Anyone in the UK interested in buying one at cost? I'd be happy to co-ordinate a bulk buy of PCBs but I imagine that shipping them outside of the the UK (may be EU at a stretch) will be uneconomic for the buyer. Email me direct (steve at Mycall dot com) if you want to express interest. No commitment needed right now.

OR! if you have a spare PCB that I could buy........

73
Steve, M0BPQ

Glenn S

Hi Steve,

I built up the Free Track 16 recently and programmed the chip with a JDM programmer using old IC-Prog set to a PIC16F874.

Cheers,
Glenn VK3YY.

On 7 May 2018 at 19:48, Steve Bunting M0BPQ <steve@...> wrote:
Ive looked at building one of the FreeTrack modules a few times, but have been put off by two things.

1) I dont have a way to programme the pic, but see that the ebay programmers can be cheap. Has anyone used one of these? Thoughts? Is there another source of programmed chips?
2) OSH Park have an MOQ for the PCBs. Anyone in the UK interested in buying one at cost? I'd be happy to co-ordinate a bulk buy of PCBs but I imagine that shipping them outside of the the UK (may be EU at a stretch) will be uneconomic for the buyer. Email me direct (steve at Mycall dot com) if you want to express interest. No commitment needed right now.

OR! if you have a spare PCB that I could buy........

73
Steve, M0BPQ

Howard Winter

Steve,

On Mon, 07 May 2018 02:48:50 -0700 Steve Bunting M0BPQ wrote:

Ive looked at building one of the FreeTrack modules a few times, but have been put off by two things.
Do you mean the "N0QBH FreeTrak" or something else? Googling "Freetrack" brings up something that's used to detect head/eye positioning!

1) I dont have a way to programme the pic, but see that the ebay programmers can be cheap. Has anyone used
one of these? Thoughts? Is there another source of programmed chips?
I have PICkit-2 and -3 so I could do it if necessary. Or I could lend one to you (you're not that far away - I see you iGating my Digipeater, MB7UPS!).

What PIC does it use? I have a stock of several types so may have some already.

2) OSH Park have an MOQ for the PCBs. Anyone in the UK interested in buying one at cost? I'd be happy to
co-ordinate a bulk buy of PCBs but I imagine that shipping them outside of the the UK (may be EU at a stretch)
will be uneconomic for the buyer. Email me direct (steve at Mycall dot com) if you want to express interest. No
commitment needed right now.
Possibly, if I knew what I was getting into! Link to the web site, perhaps?

Posting a bare PCB abroad shouldn't cost *that* much as it would fit in the "Letter" category (up to 5mm thickness). Of course, including the PIC would blow that, up to "Large Letter".

OR! if you have a spare PCB that I could buy........

73
Steve, M0BPQ
73,

-- Howard Winter, G1BYY
Training Coordinator
Mid-Herts RAYNET

John K0CQW

de John KØCQW-16

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 7:41 AM, Howard Winter <hdrw@...> wrote:
Steve,

On Mon, 07 May 2018 02:48:50 -0700 Steve Bunting M0BPQ wrote:

> Ive looked at building one of the FreeTrack modules a few times, but have been put off by two things.

Do you mean the "N0QBH FreeTrak" or something else?  Googling "Freetrack" brings up something that's used to detect head/eye positioning!

> 1) I dont have a way to programme the pic, but see that the ebay programmers can be cheap. Has anyone used
> one of these? Thoughts? Is there another source of programmed chips?

I have PICkit-2 and -3 so I could do it if necessary.  Or I could lend one to you (you're not that far away - I see you iGating my Digipeater, MB7UPS!).

What PIC does it use?  I have a stock of several types so may have some already.

> 2) OSH Park have an MOQ for the PCBs. Anyone in the UK interested in buying one at cost? I'd be happy to
> co-ordinate a bulk buy of PCBs but I imagine that shipping them outside of the the UK (may be EU at a stretch)
> will be uneconomic for the buyer. Email me direct (steve at Mycall dot com) if you want to express interest. No
> commitment needed right now.

Possibly, if I knew what I was getting into!  Link to the web site, perhaps?

Posting a bare PCB abroad shouldn't cost *that* much as it would fit in the "Letter" category (up to 5mm thickness).  Of course, including the PIC would blow that, up to "Large Letter".

> OR! if you have a spare PCB that I could buy........
>
> 73
> Steve, M0BPQ

73,

-- Howard Winter, G1BYY
Training Coordinator
Mid-Herts RAYNET

Howard Winter

John,

On Tue, 8 May 2018 08:40:46 -0500 John K0CQW wrote:

Link to the web site, perhaps?
http://www.ringolake.com/pic_proj/MFSK16/mfsk_main.html

de John KØCQW-16
Excellent, thanks! I see it uses the PIC16F690, of which I have a few in stock, so we're winning so far.

I've downloaded the appropriate .ZIP file and I see it includes two .HEX files, so programming into a PIC '690 will be a doddle (compiling other peoples' software always makes me nervous). But while there are .HEX files, suffixes _A and _ubloxA, there's only one source file (_A).

Not sure what you'd do to compile to the _ubloxA, so fingers crossed that the _A is what's needed! (Probably find the answer in the documentation, which I haven't got to yet).

I believe I have at least one Ublox module somewhere, but I have many more GPS receivers that are straight NMEA output so if I do get into this I'll start using one of those.

Cheers,

-- Howard Winter, G1BYY
Training Coordinator
Mid-Herts RAYNET

Mike Berg

mfsk16_690_ubloxA hex code is for hams who will be using the directly connected UBlox GPS module available from SparkFun.
The hex file named mfsk16_690_A is for the normal serial GPS that connects to the DB-9 connector.
The code is already compiled and ready to program - one version or the other.
Hope this helps.

Mike

PS There is a text msg version that will use tablet or smart phone input via Bluetooth coming soon.
The present version uses a rotary encoder to enter text and is kludgy at best.