Topics

HF APRS At Dayton Hamventiion

WA8LMF

The world's largest hamfest, the Dayton Hamvention, starts on Friday  18 May 2018 and continues through Sunday 20 May.   Despite the name, the Hamvention is held about 18 miles (19 KM) south-east of Dayton in the Greene County fairgrounds in Xenia, Ohio.

I have been invited to display my portable site and mobile installation in the EMCOMM (Emergency Communications) vehicle display just outside the main hamfest grounds.  I will be demoing/operating 30 Meters APRS, and possibly 60 Meters APRS as well, along with my mobile SSTV "LiveCAM" on other bands. (may use the Kenwood TS-2000 "Sky Command" system to link VHF portable SSTV to 40/20/15 meters HF.)

I will be departing for the hamfest about 10 AM US Eastern Time on Thursday 17 May, and will be running 30 M HF APRS on the way down.   (It's about a 5 hour drive from my QTH in East Lansing, Michigan.)

The WA8LMF Special Events APRS UI-Webserver is already up and running, covering the Hamvention area with two views - one regional and one close up of the venue.  The Hamvention always produces the highest concentration of APRS mobiles on the face of the earth. By mid-day Saturday, you should be seeing close to 100 mobiles within a mile radius of "ground zero".

    <http://WA8LMF.net/map>  -- Click on the black "Special Events" webserver link.

The WA8LMF "Porta-Site" and "u-EOC".   The black mast is a Spiderbeam 40-foot (12M) telescoping fiberglass pole.  The top of the pole supports the center of a ladder-line-fed 105-foot (32 M) inverted-V, and a Diamond 770 2m/UHF whip.  The ladder line is fed by the Icom AH-2 autotuner resting on the top deck of the trailer. A W6HIQ "Hi-Q" 80M-through-6M autotune "screwdriver" antenna is mounted in the center of the trunk lid of the Jetta. You can't quite see the 30-meter HamStick on the left-rear fender.   A 14-dBi WiFi "superblaster" panel antenna is resting on the roof of the car. This panel can easily connect to WiFi hotspots a half-mile away.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
   <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF