Topics

Heliax and loop aerial amplifiers

Stephen Farthing

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a CCW loop amplifier, before the new models came out. I’ve a few meters of half inch 50 ohm Heliax coming from an eBay seller, enough for me to experiment with. I’m assuming I’ll have to connect the inner conductor with the outer conductor when I build my receiving loop. I’m interested in the amateur bands up to 10 meters, medium and VLF reception would be nice but not essential. From your experiences what would be a good circumference to start with? For a receiver I’ll mostly be using an SDRplay and an Elecraft K2. I’ll be knocking up an attenuation using an Arduino and an inexpensive attenuator board for use with the SDRplay which overloads very easily,

Regards,

Steve