Topics

GPS recommendations

Dan Baker

I am looking for a usb gps unit to use with a windows 10 machine that will work with aprs messenger. I see a lot of choices on Amazon and eBay.  I would appreciate any recommendations thank you.

73, Dan

K4KDR

I can only speak for Windows-7, but this one is working wonderfully for me.  Amazed that it even gets a position lock indoors! (sitting near a bay window).

-Scott,  K4KDR

=====================

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 11:52 AM, Dan Baker <km6cq@...> wrote:

I am looking for a usb gps unit to use with a windows 10 machine that will work with aprs messenger. I see a lot of choices on Amazon and eBay.  I would appreciate any recommendations thank you.

73, Dan

Chris Moulding

I have two of the U-blox 7 USB GPS units sourced from eBay which I used for testing the recent upgrades to APRS Messenger on Windows 10. I'm impressed by the speed to first fix and indoor coverage that they give.

One of the units is a small USB dongle style unit, the other has a short cable and looks like a mag-mount unit but just has a double sided adhesive pad where the magnet would go. Cheap and cheerful but they work well.

WA8LMF

On 5/6/2018 12:21 PM, K4KDR wrote:
I can only speak for Windows-7, but this one is working wonderfully for me.  Amazed that it even gets a position lock indoors! (sitting near a bay window).

-Scott,  K4KDR

=====================

These are great, both in the USB version (BU-353) and the serial version (BU-355).  I've used over a dozen of them in various projects.

Be aware that the USB version uses the Prolific PL-2303  serial<-->USB  chip set.  (All "USB" GPS devices are actually serial internally, and use the same kind of serial<-->USB interface chip internally, that is used in stand-alone serial<-->USB "dongles".)   As a result, you have the same driver/configuration issues as with the stand-alone dongles.

When you plug the USB version of this device into a Windows PC, Windows "Plug-N-Pray" will automatically download the latest Prolific driver from Microsoft's servers. It works fine with the BU-353, but certain  other devices (particularly no-name generic dongles) that depend on older versions of the PL-2303 chip and driver (Prolific had given several incompatible versions of this chip the same model number!!) may now not work.

The BU-353 is about USD $30 on Amazon.

If you want to go REALLY cheap, this Stratux device based on the Swiss uBlox GPS chipset (The BU-353 is based on the SiRf IV GPS chip set) is only USD $18!   It was intended for use with an aviation ADS-B receiver, but works just fine for any generic GPS application on a PC when the appropriate driver is installed on a Windows machine.

      <https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EROIUEW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

If you've been watching my 30 and 60 meter mobile beacons from Messenger the last three weeks or so, you've been seeing the position output from one of these devices. As shipped, the Stratux  does NOT come with a  driver disk. (Apparently the target ADS-B box already had the driver installed.)   You have the minor additional hassle of running down the driver from the uBlox website at:

   <https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/u-center-windows>

When you run the setup .exe inside this zip bundle, you don't need to install the massive "U-Center" monitor utility. Uncheck "U-Center" at the top of the install list,  and opt to only install the drivers.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
   <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF