Topics

Friday Night 60-Meteers APRS Tests with "UI-Microserver"

WA8LMF

Starting at 9:00 PM Friday evening US Eastern time (0100 UTC Saturday morning), I will be testing again on 60-meters APRS.

As before, I will be operating on US "Channel 5" (5403.50 KHz USB).

The new twist this time is my new "UI-MicroWebserver/Igate".   I have cram-fitted two copies of UIview, APRS Messenger and the UZ7HO Soundmodem into a USD $65 7-inch Windows 8.1 tablet.  This device has a whopping 16GB of flash memory (That's the OS and applications and data!) and a total of 1 GB of RAM. See review of this device here on my website at

    <http://WA8LMF.net\WinbookTablet>

Access this special server at:

    <http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

Note that this is different from the usual "WA8LMF Special Events APRS Webserver" you may have accessed in the past.  If this works successfully, I can radically cut the power consumption of the web server.  The normal spec events server is running on a Lenovo M57 low-profile desktop PC and consumes about 45 watts.    The tablet-based "Micro-Server draws only 2.9 watts.

Further, the tablet is easily powered by a 12VDC power source via a standard lighter-jack 5VDC cellphone/iPad charger.  The total drain is only .25 amps at 13.8 VDC, making the device ideal for temporary in-the-field igate/digipeater operations in a car.

Here is a quick-and-dirty snapshot of the tablet, the Behringer UCA202 USB sound card, and the TS-2000 it's hooked up to.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
   <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
   <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

WA8LMF

On 4/20/2018 9:49 AM, WA8LMF via Groups.Io wrote:

Starting at 9:00 PM Friday evening US Eastern time (0100 UTC Saturday morning), I will be testing again on 60-meters APRS.

As before, I will be operating on US "Channel 5" (5403.50 KHz USB).

[ 1400 US EDT (1800 UTC) ]

I am currently running the MicroServer on the usual 30 meter APRS channel to verify the setup with some traffic.

At 19:00 US EDT (23:00 UTC), I will switch the system to 60 meters.

Something interesting to note:   Compare the special MicroServer with my usual 30M server at <http://WA8LMF.net/map>.     I am hearing FAR more on the MicroServer.  I assume the pickup pattern and radiation angle of the 105' center-fed dipole used by the TS-2000 on the McroServer is far more favorable than the magloop I use on the normal server with the FT-851.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
   <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
   <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

K4KDR

Thanks as always for the interesting info detail.

Will switch to 60m tonight @ 2300 UTC or whenever I get home if later than that.

-Scott,  K4KDR
FM17 in Virginia

Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: [CrossCountryWireless] Friday Night 60-Meteers APRS Tests with "UI-Microserver"

[...]

Chiefsfan2

I will put my station/ igate on 60m also from sw Kansas.

On Apr 20, 2018, 08:50 -0500, WA8LMF via Groups.Io <wa8lmf@...>, wrote:

[...]

KP3FT

I'm there now, manual beaconing of AX25/MFSK-16 and sometimes AX25/PSK63.  Copied WA8LMF as soon as I changed bands to 60m.  Unfortunately, didn't have the map running at the moment, but sure I'll see his signal again.
Jeff
KP3FT FK68qa
Puerto Rico

[...]

Thanks for listening, Jeff!

I've transmitted 3 or 4 MFSK-16 beacons (as K4KDR-66)  since 01:00 UTC but have not been heard over RF by any iGates so far tonight.  Will keep trying.

Unfortunately, due to extreme noise on the frequency here, it would take a very strong signal for me to decode anyone else.  However, I'm APRS server connected, so will iGate if I decode anyone.

-Scott,  K4KDR

==============================

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 9:18 PM, KP3FT via Groups.Io <kp3ft@...> wrote:
I'm there now, manual beaconing of AX25/MFSK-16 and sometimes AX25/PSK63.  Copied WA8LMF as soon as I changed bands to 60m.  Unfortunately, didn't have the map running at the moment, but sure I'll see his signal again.
Jeff
KP3FT FK68qa
Puerto Rico

KP3FT

It was funny, I doubled with someone else twice in a row, using random-timed manual beacon :)  Twice I TX'ed AX/25/MFSK-16, and at the end of my TX, I saw another MFSK-16 that had already started, so it didn't decode.  Hopefully will spot your beacon tonight, it'll gate it if it's spotted.

I've transmitted 3 or 4 MFSK-16 beacons (as K4KDR-66)  since 01:00 UTC but have not been heard over RF by any iGates so far tonight.  Will keep trying.

Unfortunately, due to extreme noise on the frequency here, it would take a very strong signal for me to decode anyone else.  However, I'm APRS server connected, so will iGate if I decode anyone.

-Scott,  K4KDR

K4KDR

I spoke too soon!

NC5O heard me in Texas, so I'm getting out on 60m again tonight.

-------------------

====================================

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 9:37 PM, KP3FT via Groups.Io <kp3ft@...> wrote:
[...]

As of 2300 US EDT  (0300 Saturday UTC),  I have copied three stations on Messenger DigiModes and none on conventional AX.25.   I received hits from six different IP addresses on the MicroServer.

I would now like to try this in the daytime.

Tomorrow (Saturday 21 Apr) I will be on the same 60 meter  channel starting at 1200 US EDT (1600 UTC) and will let it run for several hours.

On 4/20/2018 9:48 PM, K4KDR wrote:
I spoke too soon!

NC5O heard me in Texas, so I'm getting out on 60m again tonight.

-------------------

I've been copying you all evening.  I just heard you again at 23:14 EDT

K4KDR

Great!!

Only saw the one iGate tonight & thought I wasn't doing as well on 60m as the last test.

Just switched back to 30m and got heard by N0QBH on the very first transmit, so that was cool.  Funny that I didn't even own an HF radio until a couple of months ago, so it's neat to have such an interesting mode & app to use on some of the less-utilized bands.

======================

On 4/20/2018 11:21 PM, K4KDR wrote:
Great!!

Only saw the one iGate tonight & thought I wasn't doing as well on 60m as the last test.

Just switched back to 30m and got heard by N0QBH on the very first transmit, so that was cool.  Funny that I didn't even own an HF radio until a couple of months ago, so it's neat to have such an interesting mode & app to use on some of the less-utilized bands.

Propagation today was nowhere as good as a couple of days ago.

A useful tool to get a quick sense of HF propagation is to store the five WWV frequencies (2.5 MHz, 5 MHz, 10 MHz 15 MHz and 20 MHz all AM)  in adjacent memories on an HF rig. Then a quick spin of the memory knob can look at how the different parts of the HF spectrum are doing.     Note that especially that the 10 MHz frequency is a good indicator for 30 meters, and the 5 MHz frequency is a good indicator for the 60 meter band.

The WWV transmissions originate from Fort Collins, Colorado, about 100 miles north of Denver.    Here in the eastern half of the continental US and Canada, the 10 and 15 MHz freqs usually come in solidly during the daytime, with the lower freqs inaudible.  As the day shades off into dusk, 15 MHz starts fading, 10 remains strong,  and 5 MHz starts coming in. Around sunset, the 10 MHz frequency may start fading out, leaving 5 MHz as the main channel.  An hour or two after sunset, 2.5 starts booming in, with 5 MHz remaining strong.

If propagation is REALLY good on the higher frequencies, you may also hear WWVH transmitting on the same five frequencies from Hawaii.  You can tell since the Colorado stations' top-of-the-minute ID is a male voice.  Hawaii has a female voice about 5 seconds earlier.   Since the two stations are absolutely on the same frequencies, you don't get any howling beats or squeals when both come in at the same time - just the two voices one after the other.

Today, at mid day, I couldn't hear 15 MHz at all (normally it booms in here) and 10 MHz was very weak (normally it's a pretty strong signal).  Now (at around midnight EDT), 5 MHz is weak and 2.5 MHz is booming in.  (Normally both 5 and 2.5 are strong.)

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
   <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF
   <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/HF_APRS_Notes.htm>

KP3FT

Monitoring 60m now.

[...]

[ 1300 US EDT Saturday  (1700 UTC) ]

On 4/21/2018 12:11 PM, KP3FT via Groups.Io wrote:
Monitoring 60m now.