Topics

Direction of signals CCW Loop

leslie norton

At last got my CCW loop up outside on a pole, its just above the roof in the clear.
Its mounted on top of a yeasu rotator and set up for direction where my previous loop was.

The direction a normal loop receives is, simply put, when riding a bicycle the direction of the wheel is in the direction of the bicycle as is a loop antenna and signals.

My question is the CCW loop direction of signals the same ?

I hope it is as thats how i have set the rotator.

Thanks
Les

Chris Moulding

Hi Les,

The HF Active Loop antenna works the same as a conventional circular loop antenna so you are correct setting it up the same way as your previous loop.

On skywave HF signals you will usually not see a definite null as the incoming signal is usually refracted off several points in the ionosphere. The polarisation is constantly changing as well.

On local vertically polarised ground wave signals say a local medium wave station you should see a sharp null end on to the loop. To use your analogy the null is in the direction of travel of the bicycle wheel.

Cross Country Wireless
7 Thirlmere Grove, Bolton, Lancs, BL4 0QB, UK
Tel/fax: +44(0)1204 410626
Mob/workshop: +44(0)7752 391908
Secure email: g4hyg@protonmail.com
Website: http://www.crosscountrywireless.net
Groups.io: https://groups.io/g/CrossCountryWireless

On 30/01/2019 15:43, leslie norton wrote:
At last got my CCW loop up outside on a pole, its just above the roof in the clear.
Its mounted on top of a yeasu rotator and set up for direction where my previous loop was.
The direction a normal loop receives is, simply put, when riding a bicycle the direction of the wheel is in the direction of the bicycle as is a loop antenna and signals.
My question is the CCW loop direction of signals the same ?
I hope it is as thats how i have set the rotator.
Thanks
Les

leslie norton

1st days (8 hours) results on FT8 receive, 20m, pretty respectable.

On 30 Jan 2019, at 16:42, Chris Moulding <chrism@...> wrote:

[...]

Considering HF conditions are a bit poor at this point of the sunspot cycle it's looking good!