Topics

coax as loop and flexible copper pipe.

leslie norton

I have a question on loops.

In the past i have use wire on active loops but i see some are using 10mm or 8mm copper tube or Coax as a loop.

Whats your experience on copper and coax and if using a decent coax eg: westflex 103 (which is quite stiff) do you use just the outer part, just the inner or short the 2 together.

Plus is there a difference between using say 10mm copper pipe Vs 10mm multi strand wire (earth wire in the UK)

Thanks

Chris Moulding

If you use coax cable as a loop you need to connect to the outer braid or shield.

This is due to skin effect where as the frequency rises the RF current flows in an increasingly thinner outer layer of a conductor.

This also answers the question regarding copper pipe and multistranded wire. For the same diameter copper pipe will have less loss than wire.

Regards,

Chris

leslie norton

Thanks to both of you

On 30 Dec 2019, at 20:34, Chris Moulding <chrism@...> wrote:

If you use coax cable as a loop you need to connect to the outer braid or shield.

This is due to skin effect where as the frequency rises the RF current flows in an increasingly thinner outer layer of a conductor.

This also answers the question regarding copper pipe and multistranded wire. For the same diameter copper pipe will have less loss than wire.

Regards,

Chris